Walnut Chest of drawers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imperial

Established Member
Reaction score
I just picked up the Ebony knobs that were made for me by Richard Findley who posts on the forum and fitted them to the items I made a few weeks back, I said I'd post pics' for him. I had a wee go myself at the spinny stuff but it made me appreciate how good he is, and nice bloke too. If you need any turned items I'd recommend you use him. Big ones for the drawers and smaller version on the side cabs.

23ha7uu.jpg

1znva0w.jpg

This is the rear of the drawers which I made to look as nice as the front as it will not be up against a wall.
jayy6p.jpg

vxnacj.jpg

This is the side cabinet with a smaller version of the same knob
jrb5v9.jpg

4rqat0.jpg

This is one of the projects to be made from the ripple sycamore which I got hold of.
v3m2b4.png

Now they do look nice, the handles really go well with it.

Will be nice to see what the ripple sycamore piece turns put.

I've been turning my own brass handles for this years final project.

JH

That's some gorgeous walnut there an I absolutely love the knobs. What a great idea. Yours or his?

Richard made some finials which he had posted on his site which I thought could be adapted to knob size. "Beehive" style knobs are quite common in Ebony on room doors so I wanted something similar.

Finish is Oil/Wax Remmers brand, a little less shiny than osmo satin but not matt :roll:

Very nice indeed. :) Are all the panels solid walnut as well? Do you have any photos of the drawer sides and bases? I was reading someone's blog earlier where they've used purpleheart :)shock: !!) with walnut fronts and it worked surprisingly well, or so I thought! :)

Did you also use the oil/wax finish on the inside?

Look forward to seeing the ripple sycamore job when it's finished.

Looks really lovely Steven - congratulations!

I think the desk will look good too. I'd be thinking of some sort of contrasting accents - any thoughts along these lines?

Chris, the insides of the drawers will be the contrast and the knobs to open them will be ebony again, but a new style. Perhaps some stringing but I think the woods fab patterning will be enough !

They look great Steven (I mean the units not just the knobs :lol: :lol: :wink: )

It's lovely to see the finished job with my work on, so often the stuff I make leaves the workshop and I never see it again so I don't really know how it ends up. I think this one can be chalked up as a success!!!

The original finials that these were based on are here:

Finials.JPG

(It's the ones on the left :wink: )

Steven said he'd like them similar to these, they required quite a bit or re-scaling though as the originals are designed to fit on the end of a 65mm diam curtain pole and are about 125mm max diam!!! A few photos and samples went back and forth between us and there you go!!

Glad everyone likes them.

Great job mate =D> =D> =D> =D>

Richard

Back