Walnut & Cherry Stool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbartlett99

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Thought I might ask your views on this, my first furniture project, impossible to get an honest opinion from Her Ladyship but need a bit of constructive criticism of the design.They're made of walnut with cherry legs. Its all joined by dominos with the top being bandsawed out of a block of walnut and then shaped with block plane/sand paper and finished with several coats of Morrells Eze Oil. Unfortunately the photos don't show the lovely grain contrast.

L1000103.JPG

L1000102.JPG

Attachments

• L1000103.JPG
    L1000103.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 1,152
  • L1000102.JPG
    L1000102.JPG
    253.8 KB · Views: 1,152
That looks very well made, great design too-looks very tactile and comfortable, the wood combination makes it look really classy, I like that a lot =D>
and a fantastic first piece =D>

Like this, great design for the actual seat, not sure if it would suit every shaped bum though.

Personally I would have used Walnut just for the seat and everything below it made from Cherry.

Nice piece.

Well thanks guys.

Quite a bit of agonising went into the profile of the seat; whether to take the curve all the way to the edge etc, had visions of the roof of a budhist temple in my mind for some bizarre reason.

What doesn't come across is that the seat is fairly wide and so doesn't pinch the bum cheeks - unless you have an enormous backside in which case get down the gym.

Did think about all cherry base. The house is an old 19th C country school house so wanted to stay away from angularity and too much contrast (like using walnut/maple) - it had to have a reasonably soft look to it. Where I did make a mistake is that the cherry has darkened up a lot after making it, that and the two levels of gloss (cherry/walnut) not being too obvious meant that what contrast I had has been lost to an extent.

Friends Basato 5 and a hell of a lot of concentration for the seat top!

Cheers, thanks for the appraisal.

I really like this design. Does the scoop of the seat flair out a little at the front? Maybe that's just the shadow I'm seeing.

If this is you're first piece...look out for what's coming next!

Very nice piece or work - I will look forward to seeing your future work - the design is very nice and it looks very well executed.

well done

Rog

Another great project in here, well done, especially as it is a first project! 8)

Once again I am a fan of Walnut so it is easy to please me! :lol:

Nice seat design too, adds interest.

Good stuff, cheers
Steve

Latest posts

Back