Wall fixings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misterfish

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys and guyesses

We're currently having an extension built that will house the new kitchen. The inner leaf of the wall is built from foamed concrete blocks (a bit like Aero) that don't seem anything like as solid as the old concrete blocks or bricks.

I was wondering what others have used to fix things to this type of wall (things like cabinets, plate racks, TVs). I have recollections of a previous property that had really lightweight foamed blocks (offcuts floated in the pond!) and the tendency for fixings to pull out of the wall at the slightest knock.

I suppose I'm looking for some sort of Rawlpluggy type things that will penetrate the blocks deeply and then give a good hold when decent length screws are used.

I've tried looking at websites but haven't come across any good definitive information, so wondered what is actually used and works.

Cheers

MisterFish

You should find that once your wall is plastered and finished that some good heavy duty rawplugs or even the expanding metal bolts will do the job.

Speaking from hours of trying to get things to stick to crumbling 120 year old brick work then using larger size plugs than required and the right screws should work fine. If you are mounting anything really heavy then use longer frame fixings. It's worth remembering too that it's easier to distribute the weight over the wall, so relying on 2 fixings will still give you a greater chance of failure than 4 or 6.

Other top tip if a hole goes wrong is if you have some multifinish plaster knocking around then fill it with a bit of plaster (injected, you don't want air gaps behind) and re drill once dry. Fischer do a kit that is designed to solve this in a resin format, but care taken with some surplus plaster will save you some cash too.

my flat has internal walls with what are called pots, which are bricks with hollow centres, the best fixings are those which come with plastic plugs on screws that you punch in with your hammer after drilling. there are often toggles on them. of course you might find the longer plaster board toggles work too.

paul :wink:

Back