Walking sitck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YorkshireMartin

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

A relative is in need of a walking stick for medical reasons. She doesn't live in the UK so cant get a regulation NHS version, nor would she want one apparently. She's asked if i can find out if I can get hold of something nicer. She's looking for a hardwood of course, well made, with perhaps some decoration on, but nothing overly elaborate. I don't really have any further details.

I'm pretty sure we have people here that can make such a piece. If anyone is able to and can show me some examples and give me a price, I'd be most grateful. PM is fine.

Many thanks,

Martin

Hi Martin, can't help you but you can buy half decent cheap walking sticks in most countries, usually hardwood with a plain or carved head. I would have thought sending one abroad wouldn't be cost effective. If she travels to the UK, they are easily obtainable, any of the fairs, country and antique shops or bootsales in Yorkshire will have them or look on ebay

Bob

I would be amazed if one wasnt available in her country. Every farmers market or craft fair I've ever been to has someone selling walking sticks.
Theres a man stands outside our local supermarket selling them. and shipping one abroad would double the cost of one at least.
My mum had one that was several pieces of alloy tube connected together like tent poles are. She could fold the whole thing up and put in in her bag if she wanted to.

YorkshireMartin":7pm0bgeq said:
Hi all,

A relative is in need of a walking stick for medical reasons. She doesn't live in the UK so cant get a regulation NHS version, nor would she want one apparently. She's asked if i can find out if I can get hold of something nicer. She's looking for a hardwood of course, well made, with perhaps some decoration on, but nothing overly elaborate. I don't really have any further details.

I'm pretty sure we have people here that can make such a piece. If anyone is able to and can show me some examples and give me a price, I'd be most grateful. PM is fine.

Many thanks,

Martin
Martin
I went to Melton Mobray farmers market last Tuesday, loads of sticks there -plus a load more things ,did not see the sheep or cattle, too many stalls to look at selling all sorts of stuff.
Plenty of sticks there, -------but as I was looking for just the handles, Rams horns, Deer antlers etc. did not see all the prices but what I did see was that most were around £10. Nothing very special though!!!
I make walking sticks now and again but I do ones with barley twist flutes and wavy patterns. --All done on my Legacy Ornamental Lathe. My problem is the top part /handle. Bit of a job to curve, carve and bend some woods as cross grain is not a good idea. Hence looking for Horns etc. Older folk like a bent over piece so that they can hook over there arm, when need arises
Timber

I see a lot of canes around... not that many convince me they're load-bearing, though. Most seem more ornamental or dress accessories.

I think the most important part will be the handle, as it's quite a subjective matter concerning the comfort in the individual user's hand.
That Keith Pickering link looks pretty good for basic-intermediate sticks... not sure on the Bartitsu endorsement, though!! :D

Tasky":7eohl4ac said:
I see a lot of canes around... not that many convince me they're load-bearing, though. Most seem more ornamental or dress accessories.

I think the most important part will be the handle, as it's quite a subjective matter concerning the comfort in the individual user's hand.
That Keith Pickering link looks pretty good for basic-intermediate sticks... not sure on the Bartitsu endorsement, though!! :D
It is the handles where I have trouble with. ------most Senior folk like to have a stick that they can hook over their arm when shopping etc-----------carving out of wood I run into cross grain strength. Anyone who has ideas as to get around this problem please let me know
Timber

timber":12a1xqs7 said:
Tasky":12a1xqs7 said:

It is the handles where I have trouble with. ------most Senior folk like to have a stick that they can hook over their arm when shopping etc-----------carving out of wood I run into cross grain strength. Anyone who has ideas as to get around this problem please let me know
Timber

Crook handles aren't difficult if you choose the wood carefully Timber, otherwise select a nice length of hazel or other suitable stick then hetat or steam and bend the top around a former.

Lons":29tq3kbv said:
timber":29tq3kbv said:
Tasky":29tq3kbv said:

Timber

Crook handles aren't difficult if you choose the wood carefully Timber, otherwise select a nice length of hazel or other suitable stick then hetat or steam and bend the top around a former.
Lons
I have a quantity of Brown Oak I felled about 40 years ago. I turn all sorts of spiral patterns on my sticks. I want to use the same oak. My latest idea is to cut oversized round stock into segments about 2 inches long i:e 45 Deg. at each end of each piece and glue together Then shape.-- What is the best glue for that job??
Timber

I use Titebond for most of my glueing these days but I'm no stick maker Timber. I have a crook shape I cut out of lacewood but not yet made up and it's very strong but an interlocked grain would work well if any of your oak is like that. The one I'm talking about was just cut on the bandsaw and shaped, I'll post a pic later if you like, off to play golf shortly!

Not sure I personally like the idea of segments much but just personal taste.

Back