Wadkin RQ surface planer /jointer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hennebury

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi ,
My name is Mark, I have been a furniture maker for over 30 years in Canada. I also sell new and used woodworking machinery, some of the old machines I rebuild.

I just recently purchased an old Wadkin RQ surface planer that is a very nice machine and I would love to get some information on it. Although I have looked on the internet I haven't been able to find anything about it at all.

This is a big machine 16" cutterhead, Tables are over 8' long in total. and very heavy, probably 2500LBs
It is probably from the 50's. The tables adjustments are of a cam system that I have not seen before. and the cutterhead has two blades set on a very slight skew to the axes.

I have got the machine cleaned and operating, but hope to strip it down and refurbish it at some point.

So if anyone knows of this machine or has an old catalog with the machine in I would love to hear from you.

Thanks Mark

Mark, I'm afraid I can't help with the Wadkin, but I've just had a look at your You-tube channel, and those supersurfacers are awesome, aren't they? :shock:
Good luck with your search, and subsequent refurbish.

Adam.

Hi Richard,
I tried the link and it didn't work, i will try again. In the meantime I took a look at your website and shop tour. Nice stuff. You work is very crisp and clean, nice work. Thanks for the link and I will keep trying it.

Mark.

Hi Adam,
The Supersurfacers are quite incredible machines and will spoil you once you have used one. The finish left on the wood surface is so smooth to the touch, the wood color and grain pattern is so vivid. The surface is crisp and sharp with a beautiful sheen to it, it is quite intoxicating really. The shavings that come off of the wood are all together quite amazing.

Did I mention that I like supersurfacers.

Mark.

Hi

I can't find the exact model you mention but http://www.daltonsmachines.com/downloads-old.html gives downloadable manuals for a lot of old Wadkin machinery.

I've got an old Wadkin TS that there is no manual available, but there are other very similar models whose manuals have helped. When i first got the saw I emailed Wadkin and they sent me the closest relevant manual they had.

Misterfish

Back