Wadkin planer restoration almost complete.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't want to bump this post really, but I do like the guard. I think I am going to make a slide guard like it for my Sedgwick... By comparison my tin-plate guard is 'pineapples' rubbish.

John

Hi, I've just bought one of these, with the original motor and everything. Not that bothered about restoring it just yet, more intent on just using it. I was looking for a bit of history on it, another thread said they're from the 1920s which sound a bit far fetched. Can you shed any light on the subject? Cheers, Rob.

I can't really help you dating it, it's certainly an old lump, there seems to be 2 different versions of this machine around, with a direct drive motor or the motor mounted on the side of the machine which also looks to have an improved and simplified fence.

Since this thread you'll all be glad to know I've fitted a guard over the V belt, my wadkin family is growing, I've got a lathe coming on friday and the table saw is now practically finished so i'll have to get some up to date pictures.

Yes I agree, it would of been nice to keep the machine original, but at least it's back in action now. :twisted:

Here's a few more pictures

The workshop and machines, excuse all of the boxes between the machines, like most people, I need more room!

IMG-20120719-00228.jpg

IMG-20120719-00230.jpg

IMG-20120719-00233.jpg

IMG-20120719-00234.jpg

This arrived yesterday, as usual it's three phase so it will need a motor replacement or inverter before its making any shavings.

IMG-20120719-00227.jpg

Thanks, Andy.

Thanks for the catalogue, its very interesting and your machine looks great too. The saw, planer and router table are all at the same height so they act as supports when using the machines. I'll need to move the lathe over to the left and open the garage door if I do any ripping on the saw.

I see, I thought that was a wall. Is that a kick e-stop at the bottom. How is that wired to work?
Mark

All stop safety switches are normally closed types and fitted in series with the standard stop button.
E stop switches normally have mechanical latching that requires resetting before the machine can be started again.

Bob

That one on the saw looks like one that you rotate to reset. I always thought they weren't rated high enough to be used inline. But were used to send a signal to the plc. I have some that I aquired years ago, the lecky fitter said I couldn't use them in line.
Mark

Read what I wrote Mark.
They are not used in line because as you say they are not rated to take the machine current.

Bob

Back