Wadkin MA - advice needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harrison85

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've recently bought a Wadkin MA chisel chain morticer and need some help.

On the front of the machine there is a sign saying 'important insert chisel bush with split opposite to split in machine chuck'. Now inside the chuck opposite to the split there
is a pin sticking out, and on the chisel bush there is a key way opposite to the split. So when the bush is inserted the two splits are on the same side and doesn't clamp the chisel properly. I'm not sure if is should file the pin off and turn the chisel bush around as the sign says and see if it clamps better? I don't want to over tighten the chuck as it might crack the casting.

If anyone has an MA, or knows how to help I would really appreciate it.

Many thanks

Dan.

I have owned a few Wadkins mortisers, the DM and MF . The wadkin MF had the tag note you speak of. I would not change the bush. My Stenner BL chain /chisel mortiser is like the Wadkin MA with pop in head and what i found is you need the OEM chisels or the bush will not work. The new asian one are a tag to small and the bush can not take up the play. I made my own bushing but you coud see what pops up on ebay too for old stock.

There was a post we did on an MA here with lots of information and wadkin MA owners.

http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/sh ... n-Mortiser

tell them jack sent ya.

jack
English machines

Thanks Jack, some really useful info there! Will keep a look out for some old bits aswell.

Best wishes

Dan

Back