Wadkin lathe ID

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BorisTheBlade

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello can anyone ID this lathe please? If anyone here has a manual I would be very grateful!

Thanks 👍🏻

Screenshot_2023-03-08-11-23-21-94_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg
Screenshot_2023-03-08-11-23-19-44_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg
Screenshot_2023-03-08-11-23-16-73_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

Do you have a manual?

No manual (I'm not sure if they produced one).

It has a 6" swing. I think maximum length between centres is 36". Both head and tailstocks have 2MT tapers. The headstock also has 1 3/8" BSW thread. Speeds are 1500 and 3000 rpm.

About the only feature I can think of is the speed selector handle can be removed and becomes the spindle lock (unless you've munted it like I have mine).

Anything specific I can help you with?

Cheers, Vann.

No manual (I'm not sure if they produced one).

It has a 6" swing. I think maximum length between centres is 36". Both head and tailstocks have 2MT tapers. The headstock also has 1 3/8" BSW thread. Speeds are 1500 and 3000 rpm.

About the only feature I can think of is the speed selector handle can be removed and becomes the spindle lock (unless you've munted it like I have mine).

Anything specific I can help you with?

Cheers, Vann.
Thank you, I recently bought one in bits, the guy selling was "partway through a refurb". He said the motor works but he didn't have the know how or confidence to figure out which components (if any) need replacing so it sat for 5 years and now he's moving into a boat. So I could just put it together and hope for the best but would like to give it some TLC first and replace any parts that need it before using it properly.

He helped me load it into my trailer one end, unloading the other on my own was interesting... You ever watch "world's strongest man" and think "this is ridiculous, no one ever lifts stuff like this in real life!" - well it turns out some of their techniques came in handy 🤣

...unloading the other on my own was interesting...
I bought mine from a school about 300 miles away. I borrowed a van and dismantled the lathe outside the classroom, then lifted or rolled (on pipes) everything into the van by myself. Lifting the headstock off and back on was the heaviest (and hardest) - the bed was done using levers and blocks.

Here's the story of mine Wadkin Wood Lathes Hopefully you'll find something useful there. If you need more info, just ask.

Cheers, Vann.

I bought mine from a school about 300 miles away. I borrowed a van and dismantled the lathe outside the classroom, then lifted or rolled (on pipes) everything into the van by myself. Lifting the headstock off and back on was the heaviest (and hardest) - the bed was done using levers and blocks.

Here's the story of mine Wadkin Wood Lathes Hopefully you'll find something useful there. If you need more info, just ask.

Cheers, Vann.
Thanks, I really appreciate the help. Yes I made some funny noises carrying the headstock.

I have to build a lean to down the side of my house so I can move a load of stuff out of the garage to make more room for the lathe. Am just starting to look into parts I may need now so if they have a long lead time I can have them ready for when I start on the lathe. 👍🏻

When I got to the guy he said there were loads of other people who wanted it but I got it as I was first who messaged. Some of them went nuclear when he said it was taken and was telling him "you should be charging more etc" only AFTER they missed out on it 🤦. "If I can't have it, screw everyone else!", luckily the seller was a top guy and stood by his price and I now have a Wadkin lathe for the princely sum of £50 💪. I think he was happy that I'm not a profiteer and simply a woodworking nut with lots of enthusiasm but no money 🤣.

...Am just starting to look into parts I may need now so if they have a long lead time I can have them ready for when I start on the lathe...
Parts are, of course, like hens teeth for a machine that old (and mine is the newest of my six Wadkins). Be prepared to pay an arm and a leg for what you can pick up on eBay.

...and I now have a Wadkin lathe for the princely sum of £50...
IIRC I paid $250 NZD for mine ( ~£125).

Wallace put up a restoration he did on an RTA Wadkin RT Lathe restoration but unfortunately most of his pictures have gone.

Cheers, Vann.

Parts are, of course, like hens teeth for a machine that old (and mine is the newest of my six Wadkins). Be prepared to pay an arm and a leg for what you can pick up on eBay.

IIRC I paid $250 NZD for mine ( ~£125).

Wallace put up a restoration he did on an RTA Wadkin RT Lathe restoration but unfortunately most of his pictures have gone.

Cheers, Vann.
Yes I once called Wadkin in Leicester about parts or refurb and they plucked some crazy numbers out of thin air. That's when I realised I have to buy old tools with all components it needs and any it doesn't have be able to fabricate them

I'm assuming there will be a couple of tired electrical components and a bearing here or there. Shame the pictures got lost. Who knows, if there's a large component, I may be able to get it fabricated by college/university students or a local engineer cheaply.

Back