Wadkin Heavy metal

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yetloh

Established Member
Reaction score
Wadkin Planer Thicknesser serious and splendid looking machine for auction here. No info as to model number but looks bigger than most of those subject to restoration threads on here. No doubt there are plenty of Wadkinatics on here who will be able to identify it. Will be interesting to see what it goes for.

Jim

...No doubt there are plenty of Wadkinatics on here who will be able to identify it...
You called sir?

It's a Wadkin RM planer/thicknesser.

sc000535a3.jpg

This one, Test No. 48913, was tested new at the Wadkin factory in Green Lane, Leicester, in 1954

They came in three widths - 16"; 20" and 24" wide - that's the maximum capacity of the thicknesser. The planner on top has an additional two inches of width.

I can't tell if this is a 20" or 24", but they come in at 28.5cwt and 29.75cwt respectively (20 cwt = 1 ton).

Thanks for posting.

Cheers, Vann.

You called sir?

It's a Wadkin RM planer/thicknesser.

View attachment 161481

This one, Test No. 48913, was tested new at the Wadkin factory in Green Lane, Leicester, in 1954

They came in three widths - 16"; 20" and 24" wide - that's the maximum capacity of the thicknesser. The planner on top has an additional two inches of width.

I can't tell if this is a 20" or 24", but they come in at 28.5cwt and 29.75cwt respectively (20 cwt = 1 ton).

Thanks for posting.

Cheers, Vann.
Thanks Vann. What a beast. I'm a big fan of Wadkin restoration threads - never going to own one, but I love seeing them being lovingly restored. Are you aware of any restoration posts anywhere for an RM?

Jim

...Are you aware of any restoration posts anywhere for an RM?
I'm having difficulty with search engines, because North Americans don't call them "planer/thicknessers", but "under/overs" - however I found this one which is probably the best out there 1941 Wadkin RM 26" jointer over 24" planner - Canadian Woodworking and Home Improvement Forum
Unfortunately most of the photos have been photobucketted.

I don't recall Wallace doing an RM, and haven't searched yet.

Cheers, Vann.

Latest posts

Back