Wadkin BZB 20 Bandsaw knowledge/ experience

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Some bloak

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a bandsaw for a hobby/part time trade workshop. I want to be able to re- saw good sized lumber, cut accurately and consistently (don't we all?) including veneers etc.

I was thinking of going the whole hog and getting a Hammer N4400. Nice, new and shiny and all that, with a 3.5/4hp motor and by all accounts a good machine, but unfortunately budgets are tight for me.However, I've recently looked at a Wadkin BZB 20, c.1975 vintage. I like the old British stuff and I have a Wadkin p/t and a Sedgwick morticer.

Does anyone run a BZP 20 or have working experience of them?. What should I be looking out for with this sort of machine?. Being this is one of the smaller saws, would it have enough grunt (2 HP motor turning 20 inch diameter wheels) for deep re-sawing and enough finesse for accurate veneers?. Should I be buying or negotiating a new set of blade guides on a machine this age?. From a laymans point of view these would play a key part in blade running accuracy?.The rubber tyres appear to have plenty of thickness to them and the Machine generally looks okay.

I have no experience of owning or using a bandsaw or indeed any pitfalls in buying second hand, so any opinions, advice or experience that can be passed on is greatly appreciated. Many thanks for anyone's help.

I have a few wadkin machines but not the bzb.

Id be surprised if it wasnt an excellent machine, Wadkin machines are generally very well made.

This is the msnual
http://www.wadkin.com/wadkin-library/view/133

I see the machine is 270kgs, so is a fairly heavy machine which will be steel welded frame rather than cast, but more than sufficiently solid.

Provided the basic key parts are ok, bearings, tracking adjustment, it will probably be an excellent machine. You will need to fettle it to get it really singing, old bandsaws tend to get neglected. You may need to true up the tyres and if the blade wont track you may need a slight camber on the tyres.

I expect the blades guides will need changing or reshaping.

If you havent read before......blades come from tuffsaws :D

It is a rather new saw...... a good 60 years younger than my E.V.Beronius......

Wadkin made good machines so I wouldn't worry ebven though I have no experience with that very model. The only parts for a bandsaw that cannot be made at any local machine workshop are the wheels and the table and the main frame. The rest can always be repaired even if it turns out that previous owners have caused some hidden damage. I went through a whole lot with mine before it became tip top.

Expect to shift the bearings....... and if they turn out OK celebrate with a beer (or icecream) after work.
Bandsaw tyres wear out over time but can be shifted.
If the guides seem okay I think they could last many more years. It all depends on how much the saw has been used. If you can get new guides as part of the deal it is of cause nice to have spare parts on the shelf but you may not need them in many years.

Back