Wadkin Bursgreen BER 4

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyD

Established Member
Reaction score
I picked up a new spindle this week as you can never have too many :D

It was bought from a tender sale and i didnt have time to go to the viewing so i was relying on JH Bigleys opinion and thankfully it was ok :D I put a bid in of £201 and won the auction. Its a bit heavier duty at 7.5 hp than the other 2 spindles ive got so so it should be a good purchase. Theres a few scuffs to the paintwork but its in a really nice condition otherwise.

The Beast table size is 1100mm X900mm

ber401.jpg

ber406.jpg

It has a foot lock for locking the spindle on the left and a big brake foot pedal but there is also a dc brake as well so shouldnt ned to use this

ber402.jpg

I like the retro front panel the on off switch needs replacing but the forward and reverse works fine the lever on the right is the spindle rise and fall lock

ber403.jpg

The table top was a bit rusty but polished up nicely it came with some big spanners and spare spindles there are 2 30mm spindles and a 1 1/4 inch one which will match most of my tooling

ber404.jpg

Right the only bits missing are the metal fence plates and there is a strange plywood box on the top where the guards should be but i am intending on getting a powerfeed for it anyway. The options for the fence are get some flat 150mm X 12mm steel or aluminum stock and drill and tap for bristol levers and drill some holes for the wooden face plates. Is this going to be ok or will it need milling? I could also see if they are available as a spare part but seeing as those 2 spindles on the table are £270 each as a spare :eek: it could be expensive.

ber408.jpg

from the back

ber405.jpg

The bits inside 3000-8000 rpm rock solid wadkin construction

ber407.jpg

So with a few bits to do like a new switch and fence plates it should be a cracking machine for less than a decent 1/2 inch router.

cheers

jon

Back