Wadkin AGS - riving knife mounting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good Surname or what ?

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone with an AGS 10 help me, please?

I bought this beast off ebay and it was delivered today. The photos showed the riving knife was not mounted but I didn't think too much of that. But now after a quick look and a browse of the manual I think the whole mounting assembly is missing.

The seller has just confirmed by text that he never used the riving knife. He had it 25 years ! :evil: :evil:

How do you rate my chances of getting spares? Anybody care to take a photo of how their's is mounted?

Any help much appreciated as always.
Phil

Phil,
No pic mate, but I can almost certainly get you new riving knife mount parts & knife if needed
Please post the pics, and let me have the full model number, machine serial number and test number.
It may just mount directly to the side of the trunnion, depends on the model & version.

Paul,

Thanks. What a great forum !

The serial number is 10AGS 791109. I'm not sure what you mean by test number. I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow.

Cheers
Phil

PS: Just had a call from the vendor he is very apologetic but genuinely didn't know. He offered to contribute to costs. I declined and will take the hit myself as I think he is a nice guy and is just closing his workshop on retiring.

I had to have one made for my wadkin bgp but i did the template - cost me all of 20 quid. I still have the template i think, i wonder if that would help?

Mark,
The BGP is a 12" m/c, the AGS is a 10" machine from the info I have at the moment.
The part numbers for the riving knives are different.
I am sure that Phil will appreciate the offer.
Did you know by the way that HSE specify what material the riving knife should be made of and ordinary low carbon steel is not acceptable?
Commenting as it appears from your sig that you are in business.

Mark,

Thanks for the offer. I actually have the riving knife (very rusty!) and guard, assuming they are the ones from this saw of course. The main problem is the fixings.

I will keep your offer in mind, though, as I work through this and understand what I need.

Again thanks. This forum is so helpful and friendly I'm constantly impressed.
Phil

Gents ,here are a couple numbers to use for all these types of situations ! Both Wadkin trained and experts in all types of machinery . And dare i say they'll be able to put you in contact with the right people !
Superb mechanics and very genuine .

Graham 075000937933
Adrian 07500959723
[email protected]

Phil, the riving knife just bolts on through the guides at the back of the blade with a nut & bolt, with washers as spacers to align the knife with the blade.

mushroom004.jpg

Sorry not got a photo with the knife attached but you can see the nut, bolt & washers where it goes.

HTH.

Doug.

Doug,

Great photo. Thanks for for doing that.

All the gubbings to the left of the blade in your picture is missing from my saw. That also corresponds with the diagram in the manual. I presume that guide plate bolts on to the bracket around the spindle (hidden behind the blade on your photo). I think on mine the bracket has 2 bolt holes one of which appears to have a broken bolt in it.

Guggs,

Thanks for the contacts. All useful extra info.

I'm beginning to feel I will get a resolution to this.
cheers
Phil

Phil get the pics up mate.
it may depend on the exact model of AGS, there were a few!
I think Doug's pics are of an AGS12, yours is a 10.
The broken bolt is a stud according to my records they will be BSW.
It seems that the knife mounts into the trunnion on the 10.

One last comment, sorry to hijack your thread Phil!
The reason my sig is the way it is is because when i joined the forum, I declared a possible commercial interest in joining to the "mod team" immedately.
I was allowed to join and I was told I would be monitored, which I expected.
It was suggested IIRC that I declare any professional or commercial interest.
I deemed the best way of doing this was by placing this information in my sig, thus allowing everyone who reads my posts to decide for themselves whether my advice is commercially biased.
I hope that it has not been, yes I do offer to help as I can, and yes there may be commercial gain, there may not be.
I would add at this point I have not made any income from my posts or contributions to this forum, and even if I do not I will continue to contribute if I am allowed.
Thus the details of my business activities and qualifications in my sig are not to show off!
They are there to ensure that I declare my professional and business interests such that they are transparent and I am acting in an honest manner.
So yes I do earn a living from undertaking machinery repairs, supplies of machines and parts, electrical installations work etc. and travel far and wide doing this, well basically anywhere the bill will be paid!
However, i feel that making this obvious in every post I make is an honest way of approaching matters on here.

Sorry again for hijacking your thread Phil, hope you can sort your AGS out.

kate,
Is that a new (ish) AGS?
As I can fathom at the moment the OP's AGS is a very early model.
Still to be confirmed though.
Your pics look like one of the later ones.
Are the nut and allen screw sizes on yours metric?
If so then I think it is a different model given the info I have from the OP at the moment.
I have records on 7, yes 7 different types of AGS and most parts are not interchangeable!

Clean machine though! :D

NetBlindPaul":wkg07ey0 said:
I think Doug's pics are of an AGS12, yours is a 10.

The plate on my saw says "Machine No 10/12 AGS" , rather confusing, do the numerals relate to the blade size in inches that the saw will take?

Cheers.

Ok. Thanks for all the great input again. Here are some photos.
KGrHqYOKpEE25mcjBvBN2remQnw_12.jpg

KGrHqJkwE3OpdZILMBN2rlOki_12.jpg

As Doug says it's an older model. The serial number on the plate is 10AGS 791109

P6090137.jpg

Is this fence configuration diagnostic of the exact variant? There seem to be a number of fence styles.

P6090143.jpg

The riving knife may or may not be the original
P6090147.jpg

Anyway here's a view through the fingerplate slot. No gubbings to mount the knife on that I can identify.
P6090142.jpg

In this image there are 2 small holes on the casting that the blade would normally cover. The lower hole seems blocked.
P6090152-1.jpg

Katellwood, Mrfish,

Just seen your your posts after uploading my pictures. An uncanny resemblance! Even your riving knife looks just like mine (less the rust of course)

Mine
P6090152.jpg

Misterfish's
ts06.jpg

Katellwood's
DCP_2203.jpg

What you have looks like it's what I need!

Sadly the manual I have shows a different assembly so I can't identify part numbers. Do either of you have manuals that show these parts.

Thanks again
Phil

The missing parts all look like pieces of standard steel bar stock available from various model engineers suppliers, so if you can get the dimensions and pivot points of the mechanism, it should be straightforward to fabricate what you need.

Bob

Phil,
On your AGS the riving knife mounts directly into the holes in the machine one of which as you say appears blocked, or at least that is the arrangement in the documents I have that ties up with the info and pictures I have seen.
The riving knife does appear to be almost the same shape as the original.

Paul,

Comparing with Misterfish's and Katellwood's I'm pretty sure mine should mount on the parallelogram arrangement like theirs. The blocked hole is circled in red and on close inspection the metal in the hole is slightly proud and has threads. Looks as though it was broken off.

P6090152-1.jpg

thanks
Phil

Phil,
Kates is a different machine.
Check the rack on top of the fence.
I think there are 2 basically different mountings as per Kate's machine and as per Doug's machine.
However there are at least 3 part numbers associated with the design of the mounting bracket on Doug's machine, and a similar number associated with that on Kate's.
I'll email my contacts to see if they can identify the parts from the machine number, If I can get the part number for the riving knife I will be able to match the other parts from that.

Latest posts

Back