Wacky new form of measurement.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sunnybob":20r5yuuv said:
Bm101":20r5yuuv said:
What game has 10 pieces of wood separated by a chain?
:|
a while back I explained that measurement to an american. He said he had always thought it was just decided by the distance it took the ball to bounce once.
Don't forget the bats. That makes 12; yes?

Explaining cricket to an American, is second in difficulty, only to explaining the point of Cockney rhyming slang! :lol:

DiscoStu":3cdi3blc said:
Mm is straight forward. 12mm + 24mm = 36mm

1/12 + 1/15 = 2/27 or rather it doesn't. You can't easily use a calculator to work it out.

It's just a bizarre system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello,

But these fractions are never used, no imperial rule is calibrated in wacky fractions; you have no argument there, I'm afraid! And fractional calculators are common, I'll bet there is an app for your iPhone!

A measuring system that uses units by the thousands, in divisions that you need an eyeglass to see, to calibrate a thing that I can just say 'it is 8ft' is a nonsense, actually.

Mike.

Vann":16bt0c55 said:
DiscoStu":16bt0c55 said:
Mm is straight forward. 12mm + 24mm = 36mm

1/12 + 1/15 = 2/27 or rather it doesn't. You can't easily use a calculator to work it out.

It's just a bizarre system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DiscoStu, you're obviously a young person*. Us old gits have no trouble with that. :wink:

*another clue he's young is he's used his iPhone and Tapatalk (I don't even know what the latter is :!: )

Cheers, Vann :D

Hmm I'm 42! So not exactly young. We went over to decimalisation in 73 I believe? So you've had 43 years to get used to the idea!

I do think our country is bizarre though we are half pineappled with metric. As the example on here show. We have walking maps etc that are in km yet we still have speedos in cars as mph. We should just go totally metric. I like to buy 1/4 of sweets more than most and I like mph but I do think we should just wholly adopt one system.

woodbrains":254gkl6d said:
But these fractions are never used, no imperial rule is calibrated in wacky fractions; you have no argument there, I'm afraid! And fractional calculators are common, I'll bet there is an app for your iPhone!

A measuring system that uses units by the thousands, in divisions that you need an eyeglass to see, to calibrate a thing that I can just say 'it is 8ft' is a nonsense, actually.

Mike.
My steel rule measures to 1/32" that's smaller than 1mm is that nonsense too. Granted I can just about see the graduations but it could be a more accurate measurement.
My mother in law phoned to ask for a piece of wood to be cut 'any kind it does not matter'. When asked for the height required she replied ' hold on........................................its 14 pinkies'
:shock: :shock: :shock:

cammy9r":q0m7us0l said:
woodbrains":q0m7us0l said:

Mike.
My steel rule measures to 1/32" that's smaller than 1mm is that nonsense too. Granted I can just about see the graduations but it could be a more accurate measurement.
My mother in law phoned to ask for a piece of wood to be cut 'any kind it does not matter'. When asked for the height required she replied ' hold on........................................its 14 pinkies'

Yakuza right? Did she send you the pinkies for reference?

cammy9r":1fx5sh8j said:
woodbrains":1fx5sh8j said:

Mike.

Ahh, but you don't measure an 8 by 4 sheet in 32nds! in metric you are forced to measure everything in mm. Architects measure houses in mm for Pete's sake!

Le Corbusier realised that metric was flawed so devised his Modulor system, based upon the height of an English policeman- 6 ft. That might be the most bizarre!

Mike.

woodbrains":1vjeltul said:
Ahh, but you don't measure an 8 by 4 sheet in 32nds! in metric you are forced to measure everything in mm. Architects measure houses in mm for Pete's sake!

Le Corbusier realised that metric was flawed so devised his Modular system, based upon the height of an English policeman- 6 ft.

Mike.

You're not forced to measure in mm, where'd you get that from?

I don't measure 8x4 sheets.... I already know their dimensions ;) but when marking out I can use cm or m or m and cm or possibly mm and for good measure I can use inches too.
As for the pinkies.....I just went round and used a ruler also explaining my pinkies where larger than hers. She is not yakuzza but just as ruthless :twisted: :twisted: :cry:

Benchwayze":25lqkq5b said:
Peter Sefton":25lqkq5b said:
We usually talk about 8'x4' sheets ....mm thick

I don't measure now Peter. I bought one of your Woodpecker 'T' squares. I just look at the holes, and stick a pencil in one that looks about right! :D

And in metric! Nice piece of kit.

Cheers Peter

Wuffles":kplbgv72 said:
woodbrains":kplbgv72 said:

Le Corbusier realised that metric was flawed so devised his Modular system, based upon the height of an English policeman- 6 ft.

Mike.

Hello,

As soon as something is not an exact multiple of a metre, you are forced to use mm's. 2437mm is 8 ft. Now cut that in half in metric and see how easy it is! I never have to use 32 nds or 16 ths or 8 ths if the job does not need it and you don't need to even see them on the rule. You are always looking at mm's in metric, it is unavoidable. Using smaller divisions is not more accurate. Fractions are not without their problems, but once you know a few tricks, they are easy.

Mike.

timber":hrkrzkdj said:
How about the Hoppus measure for tree fallers ???!!!
Is it really a measure? I though it was just a way of estimating the useful timber content from log diameter. I wouldn't know anything about it at all if is wasn't one of the head words in my 1988 Collins English Dictionary.

'As soon as something is not an exact multiple of a metre, you are forced to use mm's. 2437mm is 8 ft. Now cut that in half in metric and see how easy it is! I never have to use 32 nds or 16 ths or 8 ths if the job does not need it and you don't need to even see them on the rule. You are always looking at mm's in metric, it is unavoidable. Using smaller divisions is not more accurate. Fractions are not without their problems, but once you know a few tricks, they are easy.'

Smaller divisions are more accurate, microns or thou if you see what I mean. They are just measurements no need to justify which is best we are just having some fun. I use both or a lot of the time none just a stick with a correctly marked point with knife or pencil.

The metric system is a French innovation, needless to say that shouldn't completely win the argument for reverting back to imperial. Perhaps after the vote we can have s vote on which units and measures to use.

At 49 I'm comfortable with either system having been taught both. For practical use, imperial is actually far easier to manipulate quickly with mental math.

I am definitely imperial and have not been metricated yet. Causes no end of confusion at builders merchants when I ask for 3/4" pipe fittings etc. But if you want confusion try flying:

Height measured in feet and flight levels (1,000's feet)
Maps give heights in metres
Distance measured in Nautical Miles
Visibility measured in metres and Km
Atmospheric Pressure measured in Millibars
American light aircraft use US gallons and Quarts for fuel and oil and MPH for speed
European light aircraft use Litres
UK light aircraft use UK gallons and pints for fuel and oil and knots for speed
Cloud cover is measured in Octares
Tyre pressures can be PSI, Pascals, kg/sq cm
Radio frequency is KHz and Mhz
Have I misses a unit of measure out? If so I am sure it will be used somewhere.

woodbrains":1twp3oa9 said:
Wuffles":1twp3oa9 said:
woodbrains":1twp3oa9 said:

Mike.

Hello,

As soon as something is not an exact multiple of a metre, you are forced to use mm's. 2437mm is 8 ft. Now cut that in half in metric and see how easy it is! I never have to use 32 nds or 16 ths or 8 ths if the job does not need it and you don't need to even see them on the rule. You are always looking at mm's in metric, it is unavoidable. Using smaller divisions is not more accurate. Fractions are not without their problems, but once you know a few tricks, they are easy.

Mike.

You've twisted that to your own ends there :D

Now try a PB sheet at 2.4m x 1.2m (there, I'm demonstrating not using mm to measure), what's that in Feet and Inches? I'll tell you, it's not quite 8ft x 4ft.

I tell you what is confusing though, when measuring for studs, OSB sheets are imperial, PB sheets are metric - round our way anyway.

woodbrains":3t2grmbp said:
Hello,

As soon as something is not an exact multiple of a metre, you are forced to use mm's. 2437mm is 8 ft. Now cut that in half in metric and see how easy it is!

It's always easy to choose examples. to prove either case.

3000mm is 9 feet, 10 and 7/64 inches.

I'd rather halve the metric version. 1500mm, easy! :D

BugBear

Back