Virutex AP98

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Anybody got one of these? http://www.ney.co.uk/machines/new-produ ... s/ap98.htm

I use a lot of veneered MDF and edge it with solid wood. Getting a perfect edge on the lipping is a real pain - the veneer on the board is so thin that you can go through it all too easily with a plane or sander.

This looks like it might be just the job, but I'd like to hear some first hand experience.

Rgds
Dunk

Hi Dunk, I've had it's predecessor the P98 for a few years (bought mine secondhand and fitted the AP98 cutter block and dust extraction). The earlier machine is identical except for the solid HSS or carbide tipped cutters (the later AP98 uses disposable tips, with the original block you needed to fiddle for ages to set-up the cutters), the lack of DX provision and the shape of the motor housing (the AP98 is much squarer and has an extra 150 or so watts available), so my updated P98 is nearly an AP98.

Comments from use? Well, they're darned heavy (almost 8kg), take a heck of a lot of pushing as they don't really glide. And they aren't much use on short or narrow pieces because of their enormous footprint. However, with the new cutter block mine will do solid surface as well as timber lippings, they can handle a 2in lipping with ease (whereas a router won't) and they'll also do the ends of round tables, which my static lipper (a JKO LT750) won't do that easily.

jkolt750_3.jpg

Above: JKO LT750 static lip trimmer

The question is possibly how much curved edge/solid surface lipping do you do? If the answer is little or none then a static machine such as the LT750 (which can be picked up for £250 or less) will be a better bet, especially if fitted with a power feeder. Even having a P98 I've still found it easier to go to the static machine for volume straight processing (I was lucky enough to pick up a machine with replaceable carbide-tipped tooling) and relegate the P98 to curved pieces and the like. If looking for static machines apart from the JKO, there was a similar machine by Holz-Her (the 360) as well as trimmers such as those Brandt's, Cehisa, etc which are designed for narrower lippings.

trimmer.jpg

Above: Holz-Her 360

Incidentally, there is a very good article on the subject by Terry Cain over at Badger Pond

Scrit

Blimey, Scrit!

I won't bother with the forum next time - just PM you!

Thanks for the wealth of information - I didn't even know of the existence of static lip trimmers. I will have to keep my eyes open. I suspect that this is the kind of machine that gathers dust at the back of a dealers's warehouse after it's come in as part of a job lot or liquidation sale.

In the meantime I think I'll just jig up a router to do the job.

Thanks again
Duncan

Big Dunk":3un0xybw said:
Blimey, Scrit!

I won't bother with the forum next time - just PM you!
No, come on I enjoy finding out about all of these bits of kit I am not likely to see and even less likely to own. Keep asking the questions on the forum, Scrit has quite a large library of old catalogues and I am sure we have not been treated to half of the collection yet. 8)

DaveL":21dconjh said:
Scrit has quite a large library of old catalogues and I am sure we have not been treated to half of the collection yet. 8)
Half? Nah, much less than that! :wink:

Scrit

Back