Virus Attack

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harbo

In Memorium
Reaction score
My Niece kindly "sent" me a Virus attack on my PC.
(I am writing this on my Mac :) )
I think my software spotted it in time and a scan has not found any nasties?

It tries to install:
Windows Secure Kit 2012
pcchecknow.org
testdefenderprevention.info

Which, from what I can find, try to trick you by flagging up false warnings then asking for monies to remove them?

As a double check, can anybody recommend a good malware/virus scanner (preferably free) - I am using MS Security Essentials?

Rod

Security essentials is pretty good, actually. May be worth backing it up with a non-resident malware scanner like "Malware bytes". The two together make a pretty good combo.

Si.

Rod,

I use two free products - SuperAntiSpyware and Malware's AntiMalwareBytes. I have these installed on a flashdrive so that they do not interfere with the day to day operation of my PC (on which I run McAfee Total Protection). I find both of these freeware programs easy to use and effective at removing everything from Trojans to adware cookies. Having said that, it you want to use these freeware programs as an active scanner while web browsing, you will have to upgrade to a version where they require you to pay a small fee.

Mike

henton49er":16hslgnq said:
Rod,

I use two free products - SuperAntiSpyware and Malware's AntiMalwareBytes. I have these installed on a flashdrive so that they do not interfere with the day to day operation of my PC (on which I run McAfee Total Protection). I find both of these freeware programs easy to use and effective at removing everything from Trojans to adware cookies. Having said that, it you want to use these freeware programs as an active scanner while web browsing, you will have to upgrade to a version where they require you to pay a small fee.

Mike

There's a little virus running around to the left of my monitor. I've tried everything to get shut of it, but it persists. it looks like one of those magnified dust mites you sometimes see in a camera viewfinder, but it moves like a demented miniature F1 car, almost in figure-of-eights!

Have you ever noticed this Mike? :D

Seriously, I found Webroot sorted out a severe malware problem I had.
HTH :)

Harbo, I run McAfee total protection about £50 a year. I have never been able to understand how free AV,s can be as effective as the professional versions, if they were no one would buy the pro ones. Of course it could could all be a big con. Years ago I used a free Microsoft AV it caused a lot of problems, it was eventually withdrawn.

Back