Virgin National flogged to TalkTalk, need a new ISP/email

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noel

Staff member
Reaction score
Any Virgin National customers that are here will know by now that the useless pippers have flogged their ADSL network to that upstanding pillar of ISPs, TalkTalk. All 97,200 of us. Bang goes the near 20 yr old email address and everything else. Virgin are pushing us all to sign up with TT but I, and no doubt many others, ain't going near them. I know too many people that hate them with a passion and leave as soon as possible.
So, I need a new ISP. BT seems the obvious choice as landlines are with them and the few I know that are with BT are happy enough. I don't get much of a connection in the first place, maybe 1.5/2 meg on a good day so a poor performing ISP will have a big impact. UK based support team would be good too but as long as there is proper support I guess it doesn't really matter.
Can I expect good support from BT?

As mentioned my email address will be history, it's a lifeline for my business so a lot of work to spread the word, which leads me to seeking a new email service. I need a .com, .net or some other non geographic address so [email protected] is no good and too long. Anybody suggest a good email service, free or low cost. Looking at Runbox, any experience anybody?

I use 123 reg simply to host my domain and forward email. cost a few quid every other year and no problems over many years.

MM

Get your own domain, no more changing of email address. Or there's gmail.com ... they don't come much shorter.

Afternoon Noel

Can I expect good support from BT?

In my experience that depends where the support staff are.

UK based (Scotland, N.I. and Newcastle) have been fine.

If you get the Indian call centre, they can really foul things up ( I once let them access my machine and it took ages to get it working properly. Never again) They just read the script and rarely seem to know more than I do.

If you change ISP, you might get better speeds with newer kit.

Gmail dot com is free for personal use and seems to work OK. (It's my backup for when BT goes pear shaped)

Are you sure you'll lose your old address?

Cheers

Dave

For a good ISP I recommend Zen. UK based tech support. Always coming out top. For example, here

17 October 2014: Zen Internet has been awarded PC Pro Best ISP for the eleventh time

Not the cheapest but, like tools, you get what you pay for.

Deejay":3qefhybl said:
If you get the Indian call centre, they can really foul things up ( I once let them access my machine and it took ages to get it working properly. Never again)......
Dave

You did what ? :shock: #-o

Never, ever let any support outfit remotely access your computer, is my advice.

I am with plusnet and have had no problems (touch wood!), I understand they are actually owned by BT.

Talk Talk -Indian call centres and can be painful sorting out any connection problems, so can understand your reluctance be transferred.

+1 for setting up your own domain or for a simple solution get gmail, free, bags of storage space etc

Hi Noel,

I'm with BT. My address ends '.com' - there's no '.co.uk', and I've had no problems with them so far.

John

Personally I think I'd rather do without telecommunications than go with BT again, they were the most incompetent bunch of idiots I've ever had to deal with. Never again. Never.
I'm with Virgin Media now and have been happy enough until recently, when a "free upgrade" to "up to 50 meg" has resulted in more buffering than I've had for years.

I used to have a BT business broadband service and found it to be excellent, fast, on the ball and available 24/7/365. Of course cost was higher than Virgin or Talk Talk but thats the trade off. Sold that business so no longer have it.

Recently used O2 BB as a cheap add on to my mobile phone account and that worked well for quite a while but now being taken over by BT so expect a raft of new regulations, a price hike and the indian call centre..ugh!!

I'm with Virgin Media Cable and have been since the cable was laid by United Artists, a lifetime ago, now 100meg and never varies and only very minor hiccups over all those years. Even then they've reduced my bill by way of compensation -10 quid knocked off for a 4 hour interruption a year or so back when some yobs destroyed a power/cable sub-station.

I use PLUSNET (BT subsidiary) but UK call centre who will try their very best to sort out any problems. Sometimes they can't as Openreach have not invested in fixing lines etc in rural areas.

Steve Maskery":19mjs2jl said:
Personally I think I'd rather do without telecommunications than go with BT again, they were the most incompetent bunch of idiots I've ever had to deal with. Never again. Never.
I'm with Virgin Media now and have been happy enough until recently, when a "free upgrade" to "up to 50 meg" has resulted in more buffering than I've had for years.

Had a si,ilar problem, I unplugged the router/modem from the power for about 20min then plugged it back in since then no problems.

john

I just rung customer services, ha-ha, been put on hold for 37m being forced to listen to some noise that I did not enjoy and then just got cut off. Right now I am livid.

Plusnet are owned by BT.

Zen are UK owned and Richard Tang their MD is an engineer who is focused on customer service. They are excellent. All the awards can't be wrong.

RogerS":t4n0v5yp said:
Deejay":t4n0v5yp said:
If you get the Indian call centre, they can really foul things up ( I once let them access my machine and it took ages to get it working properly. Never again)......
Dave

You did what ? :shock: #-o

Never, ever let any support outfit remotely access your computer, is my advice.

Evening Roger

You pay to learn.

I've learned.

Hence 'never again'.

Cheers

Dave

Charlie Woody":2xv4jpg7 said:
I use PLUSNET (BT subsidiary) but UK call centre who will try their very best to sort out any problems. Sometimes they can't as Openreach have not invested in fixing lines etc in rural areas.

Evening Charlie

Openreach is, I understand it, a wholly owned subsidiary of BT.

BT is not the G.P.O. which was run as a public service. It is a business, owned by the shareholders.

The shareholders expect a dividend on their investment.

BT will invest where they can make the biggest return for their shareholders.

Rural areas like Devon are not likely to attract investment from BT, Openreach, Virgin or anyone else looking to get a good return.

Enjoy the views and learn to live with poor utilities.

Cheers

Dave

The Government and local councils are subsidising BT with their Infinity - our village was upgraded a couple of years ago by them so we don't have any choice. (If you want high speeds its BT or Plusnet)
Having said that I've not had any problems or any reason to complain.

Rod

Back