Views on the Axminster bench grinder?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alie Barnes

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening

I was looking at this:

Axminster Hobby Series AHBGDL Wide Stone Grinder
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ho ... der-505194

But the reviews seem pretty poor overall, especially considering build quality so i thought i would get other peoples views on this. the other one i was looking at was the 8" Record Power one which seems quite good but almost double the cost.

What are peoples views?

I would take a hint from the reviews and avoid, after all, that's the point of these reviews. Buy cheap, buy twice etc. I would also see if there are any reviews on the Record alternative before buying.
I bought a Clarke (yes, I know now!!) wet and dry grinder from Machine Mart. It still works but I had to buy a replacement wetstone wheel as the supplied one was so out of balance. The rests are rubbish too. So really it was a poor buy and I wish I had known about the quality of Clarke tools earlier.

K

I don't subscribe to the "buy cheap, buy twice" notion. Of course there's some truth to it but plenty of examples given on UKW relating to both power tools and hand tools show that this is no longer any sort of hard-and-fast rule, if it ever was.

And regarding reviews, there aren't enough draw a firm conclusion as to quality. The real average could be very poor all the way to really quite good; a minimum of a couple of dozen reviews would get you close to knowing where it lies on that spectrum.

Alie, if you just need a grinder for occasional light use the Lidl or Aldi ones seem to be quite reliable, and both shops have an excellent returns policy. In a couple of the branches local to me there are currently a few grinders remaindered from a recent promotion and they're now going for approximately the equivalent of 20 quid, might be even less over there.

Hello,

I would suggest that a 200 watt motor is a bit underpowered. I wouldn't get any less than 1/2 horsepower myself.

Mike.

graduate_owner":3tizr66r said:
I would take a hint from the reviews and avoid, after all, that's the point of these reviews. Buy cheap, buy twice etc. I would also see if there are any reviews on the Record alternative before buying.
I bought a Clarke (yes, I know now!!) wet and dry grinder from Machine Mart. It still works but I had to buy a replacement wetstone wheel as the supplied one was so out of balance. The rests are rubbish too. So really it was a poor buy and I wish I had known about the quality of Clarke tools earlier.
K
I had the same problem with a wetstone, I solved it by clamping a devil stone to a block of wood, just contacting the wheel. I ran it til the noise stopped, then set it to touch again and repeated. After doing it three or four times it balanced. You have to be 100% sure both the grinder and the stone are immovable for it to work.

woodbrains":1wmv1vk1 said:
Hello,

I would suggest that a 200 watt motor is a bit underpowered. I wouldn't get any less than 1/2 horsepower myself.

Mike.

We have a little cheap 6" at our club that is used four nights a week - it's date of manufacture is 2001 and it's 180w, it is a 3/4" wheel though.

phil.p":2dou5cd9 said:
woodbrains":2dou5cd9 said:
Hello,

Mike.

We have a little cheap 6" at our club that is used four nights a week - it's date of manufacture is 2001 and it's 180w, it is a 3/4" wheel though.

Hello,

That is what I mean, wide wheel can bog down with a wide area of contact. I have to say, if you are gentle then it will be fine, but if you ever have a lot of material to remove, impatience gets the better of you and even a 300 watt motor can be bogged down.

Why didn't the OP mention the Record Power 6 inch grinder. 350watts and £65. I'd go for that, record have a great customer service reputation and I think everything has a 5 year guarantee.

Mike.

Latest posts

Back