Veritas variable scraper Burnisher

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
neil how do you make this burnisher ,i have a few cheap cutters i can use . :oops: :oops: i just looked at alfs post .

Tony":2cnkvzkw said:
I will try 5 degrees. Strangely, with the 15 degree burr, I don't find my knuckles touching the wood or even near it. Either :
A) You have exceptionally large knuckles (Chris Neanderthal Waterhead?)
B) I can't use a scraper correctly
C) Eventhough the rod is in the holder at 15 degrees it's not used at 15 degrees. As you hold the holder at an angle to the scraper you reduce the angle (just like skewing with a plane).

The formula would be: effective angle = invtan ( cos(angle of holder to scraper) * tan(angle of rod to holder) )
So for a 15 degree rod to holder angle (like Bob Smalser):
0 degree angle of holder to scraper --> 15 degree effective angle (duh)
30 degree angle of holder to scraper --> 13 degree effective angle
45 degree angle of holder to scraper --> 11 degree effective angle
60 degree angle of holder to scraper --> 8 degree effective angle
90 degree angle of holder to scraper --> 0 degree effective angle (again duh)

Tony":2cnkvzkw said:
Seems OK in use with the scraper held at somewhere around 45 degrees to the job
Jasper (geek, I know)

It's surprising how much you learn on this site. Not to sound like a total noob but I have never even heard of scrapers until I watched Norm scrape some french table legs.

When I last did curved table legs I used spokeshaves! Was that wrong or is it just a matter of taste/style? :oops:

Neomorph":4wxjsfma said:
When I last did curved table legs I used spokeshaves! Was that wrong or is it just a matter of taste/style? :oops:
Using a spokeshave is fine but some times ( depending on what wood you use ) you can get lines from the spokeshave and one of the quickest ways to get them out is a scraper :)

John
Scrapers are useful as they can be used regardless of the grain direction-shaves reallly prefer going with the grain.
They also replace a whole lot of sandpaper in my workshop.
Hope this helps
Philly :D

I had a bit of a revelation regarding scraper use last weekend.

I have made a set of stools for the kitchen from Beech, and was having trouble getting the tops finished to a standard that I was happy with.

As I was doing an order for Axminster, and was just under the £45 required for free postage, I order their set of 3 scrapers more or less on a whim.

When they arrived I used the straight edged one to clean up the tops of the stools - they came up an absolute treat - almost glass-like!

The finish is far better than I could have got without hours of sanding, and much more satisfying than the dreaded dust storm method!!

Only slight problem - scraping doesn't half make your thumbs hurt!!! :?

Regards

Gary

Taffy Turner":fcp6cuma said:
Only slight problem - scraping doesn't half make your thumbs hurt!!! :?

Regards

Gary
If you do it for long enough you will get use to it ( but I will not tell you how long that is :twisted: ), depends how long you use it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back