Veritas skew rebate

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl

Established Member
Reaction score
I know there are a few of you out there with the LV skew rebate plane (lucky pippers....).

Do you think it's necessary (for grain reversal problems) to have both planes in order to avoid tearout? Or can the one plane be use (perhaps with a back bevel)?

Cheers

Karl

karl":3nn8nkma said:
I know there are a few of you out there with the LV skew rebate plane (lucky pippers....).

Do you think it's necessary (for grain reversal problems) to have both planes in order to avoid tearout? Or can the one plane be use (perhaps with a back bevel)?

Cheers

Karl
Yes :) - Rob

Hi Karl,

I don't own one yet, but from trying out the one Martin Brown lent me (which I had to give back :( ), I'd be inclined to see how you you get on with just one. The skew blade does give a very nice cut compared with, say, the Record #778, and I think you'd only get tear out problems with very difficult woods.

I won't be able to afford two so, luckily, I won't have the agonising problem you are grappling with :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I received one for Christmas and have only played around with it a few times. Worked very well on test pieces of poplar, cherry and pine, with and cross grain. I have no adverse comments about the plane--nicely made, although I don't use the knob, preferring to use my left hand to guide the plane via the fence.

For my casual (hobbyist) use, I think I do not need both.

T.Z.

Hi Tony -

Don't laugh...but sometimes it's good to have a front knob when you pull a plane toward you...(which I've done.... epecially with a scraping plane)...

Mind you - it is made to come off too, as most people would only use the knob for operations where you're wasting a lot of wood...

Cheers -

Rob

I own both planes and they are a pleasure to use, easy to adjust. The left version is very handy if you also pull the plane (thanks Rob!) but obviously you can start buying just the right version. The skewed blade really makes the difference over the 778, but the plane has a lot of nice features.

21apj3.jpg

karl":11wmo9gp said:

Cheers

Karl

Not been a problem just having one so far.

of course, two would be nice, but even I (with an err, adequate number of LNs :oops: ) would say two is overkill and unnecessary.

I can't see me buying a second and have had no tearout problems

I bought both, mainly because there was an introductory offer for the pair. Having used them quite a bit now I'd say that the second does come in useful, although faced with tricky grain on one edge you could always whip out the router!

Thanks for the replies.

I'm off to my local tool shop in the morning - he has an account with Brimarc and will get one (Right Hand) in stock for me to have a look at.

Cheers

Karl

As the owner of a couple of nice handtools and enjoying making shavings as I do, I still prefer to make rebates on the router table most of the time. It's one of the few jobs where machine set up time is less than a handtool - it's just so darned easy to get them spot on with an Incra fence and a router lift.

Sacrilege I know :oops:

waterhead37":29lzxw7y said:
As the owner of a couple of nice handtools and enjoying making shavings as I do, I still prefer to make rebates on the router table most of the time. It's one of the few jobs where machine set up time is less than a handtool - it's just so darned easy to get them spot on with an Incra fence and a router lift.

Sacrilege I know :oops:
Amen to that...but the planes are still nice - Rob

Chris & Rob

I agree about the router table. Unfortunately I don't have a permanent router table set-up at the moment and, in any event, most of my work is done in the evenings when having a router on full steam would annoy neighbours and my boys (who sleep in the bed above my garage 'shop).

Cheers

Karl

woodbloke":3laej50x said:
Paul Chapman":3laej50x said:
Go for it, Karl 8)

Cheers :wink:

Paul
Hey Paul - I reckon you ought to be added to Nibbo's hit list :lol: - Rob

I was set on my way down the slope many moons ago. Actually, it was Paul - he recommended my Clifton 7 !

Get him on the list :lol:

Cheers

Karl

karl":hd49vci0 said:
... in any event, most of my work is done in the evenings when having a router on full steam would annoy neighbours and my boys (who sleep in the bed above my garage 'shop).

Hmmmm.... So if I can move the kids to the room above my garage/workshop, I wonder if the missus would let me buy some nice QUIET premum planes.... :)

Cheers, Vann.

Karl

A few very experienced woodies on here have mentioned that a router table is their preffered choice and I have to agree and I use it most of the time.

However, I use the skew LV when the joint is visible and needs to be very precise - often to clean up atfer the router table!!

When I get some storage space sortedfor picutres, I'll post a cabinet I just made where all joints are exposed (dado, rabbet) and these were all fine tuned with hand planes after a router

Back