• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted Veritas skew rabbet plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noho12C

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
It seems impossible to find one at a retailer, so if someone has one and doesnt need it, I would be interested. Preferably PM11 blade, but O1 or even A2 will be fine.

That’s right, no retailer in the U.K. has one nor Fine Tools or Dictum in Germany. There was a very recent auction of a secondhand one in fleabay uk and it was already bid up over £300 with several days left when I last looked at it. I should had watched it to see what it actually went for. Good luck with your hunt!

Edit: it went for £310 + £8 p&p after 23 bids.

This one is going for £200 buy it now but it's in bad shape. The guy has a whole collection of rusty LN and Veritas planes and I can't believe the price they're going for, but as you say, with none in stock anywhere I guess some people are willing to pay! You could take a punt that it's just superficial and will clean of fairly easily

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174609125054

Lee Valley's website says they are expected on April 2nd. I don't have a clue what the taxes and tariffs will be like but ordering direct will likely get it in your hands the fastest.

Pete

Lee Valley's website says they are expected on April 2nd. I don't have a clue what the taxes and tariffs will be like but ordering direct will likely get it in your hands the fastest.

Pete
I suppose we should be grateful they don't say April 1st....

Yes, they have been out of stock everywhere since nearly a year now !

Have managed to do rebates with my plow plane, but it's less than perfect. I have few projects in the pipe now that require lots of rebates, so one would come handy.

Maybe the shortage is a sign that I should go for a Philly plane 🙄

Ps : I have a skew block plane from LV already. I don't use it very much, more as a block plane than anything else. Not really suitable to handle long rebates. But thanks for the link anyway !

Sounds like I’m in a similar situation to the OP with loads of rebate work teed up. With the Veritas skew rabbet plane being unavailable for ages now, I decided to get a vintage wooden moving fillister plane off eBay instead. I’m going to use it to hog off the waste shy of the scribe lines and bring the rebate to the lines with my wooden rebate plane.

I guess I should technically get a sash fillister plane as I have glazed work to do but it does seems like a one trick pony. Are there any other practical uses for it?

I saw that guy’s LN and Veritas planes on eBay posted up for a tidy sum. Now’s the time to flog off those LN dust collectors in your workshop!

That rusty lee LN collection on the bay is gonsmacking. How on earth could you allow that to happen if you actually knew anything about your tools? And there are so many of them - it must have been an enormous initial outlay. And then the price that he is asking considering the condition and the hours they will be needed to clean them. Totally mental.

I've seen those tools. He's very lucky to sell those in this climate.
Normally people wouldn't give them a second look.

Hand tools will return by the end of the year. No need to buy such poor quality.

The Hand Tool Book review podcast has just interviewed Thomas Nielsen and talks about the current tool shortage and when we can see them return. (Spoiler Alert - not great news)

https://pca.st/episode/95be8bb8-077e-49f0-acbb-e9ff425ca488

I've seen those tools. He's very lucky to sell those in this climate.
Normally people wouldn't give them a second look.

Hand tools will return by the end of the year. No need to buy such poor quality.

The Hand Tool Book review podcast has just interviewed Thomas Nielsen and talks about the current tool shortage and when we can see them return. (Spoiler Alert - not great news)

https://pca.st/episode/95be8bb8-077e-49f0-acbb-e9ff425ca488
Rob,
thanks for posting this. It was an interesting listen.

Latest posts

Back