Veritas Planes - which one to get?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nonidentity

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have started to woodwork and which to buy an initial plane to kick off. I have a powerplaner but it is too vicious for the projects I have started on. Thus I plan to get an initial plane.

I have been looking at the P2501 low-angle smoother and considering getting the hi-angle iron (making it versatile) OR the P3401 low angle jack (with hi-angle iron - same rationale). They are priced close to each other.

My initial projects are not large projects but I wish to invest in something worthwhile of reasonable quality.

I know many will state I will eventually have several planes as a function of time, however the issue is now; I cannot afford to buy both at present and perhaps in the near future I will buy the other model and so onwards.

Any pointers as to which I should consider first.

Before all throw their hands up in dispair, I have read lots of reviews, I read the commentary; on this site and othere - the result is: as a beginner I am more confused then before.

Thanking you up front.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/:roll:

From hindsight and if I had the cash to spare I imagine from my reading of reviews that the low angle jack would be of more use (of the two). That said Ive never seen either in the flesh. Elbow grease and old stanleys is where Im at Im afraid, least till I win the lottery.

If you want a plane to help flatten stock and joint a boards edge, the low angle jack is a very good plane.

If you have shorter pieces you are generally working on, a #4 or even the low angle smoother is a good option.

Another option is to purchase both a good reconditioned #4 and #5 for probably less. Add to that a nice block plane and the total cost is probably less than the new Veritas.

I cannot remember who it is there that sells these nicely redone planes, but someone will be along to say who it is.

Take care, Mike

If you are really after a quality plane and you can only afford one then I'd recommend the Veritas BU Jack with the extra 38 degree blade.

This can then be used as a jointer and smoother, you also might want to consider getting the 50 degree blade as well, then you are covered for most types of hard wood.

HI Non
Welcome to the forum!
Another vote for the BU Jack-its a very versatile plane thats will cover most bases for you. Have a look here
Hope this helps
Philly :D

Waka":a87azd9c said:
If you are really after a quality plane and you can only afford one then I'd recommend the Veritas BU Jack with the extra 38 degree blade.

This can then be used as a jointer and smoother, you also might want to consider getting the 50 degree blade as well, then you are covered for most types of hard wood.

I second that

Hi nonidentity,

I was going through the same dilemma as you, weather to buy the Jack or LA smoother, and after the AP show last weekend and having a go on a few planes, I went for the LA Jack! I’m new to woodwork too, and wanted a good plan to start with that would be the most versatile, and after looking at lots of debates on this and other websites I went for the LA Jack. :)

Plus I got this e-mail from Rob Lee (Lee-Valley/Veritas)
‘I'd have to recommend a Low Angle Jack plane.... It's the most versatile, and will serve you well for jointing smaller pieces, trueing surfaces, end grain work, shooting, and even smoothing.... It has the mass you need to give good inertia for working difficult grain, and is just a stunning performer. I'm firmly convinced that a bevel-up plane is a better platform than a bevel down for a number of reasons: 1) Versatility - you can easily match the effective cut angle to suit the use 2) Stability - forces are more along the axis of the blade, instead of across it... 3) Simplicity - it's easier to adjust, and to swap blades Truth be told though - the wood doesn't care whose plane it is, who's holding it, or what it's made of. The low angle smooth is also a good choice - but I'd still go for the longer plane... No matter what you buy - I'd strongly recommend a Bevel-up plane, and at least a second blade to keep with a higher bevel angle...it will give you the most bang for your buck...(or pound!)’

Hope this helps! :p

Nads

PS I agree with Philly, I brought mine from Classic Hand tools, @ £137 including delivery it was the cheapest I could get it for on the net, I should be receiving mine in the next few days
:wink:

In my view nothing less than a Lie-Nielsen #8 will suffice.

Nah, just kidding. :wink: Definitely the Jack. But then if you've read up about them all, you already knew I'd say that... :lol:

Welcome to the forum, btw.

Cheers, Alf

Well its a Jack Plane that you want from what you have said, beware of fasions and try all that are avialiable to you.

Where do you live are there any other forum members near you, would they let you try some of thier toys. a verita bevel up jointer is a good choice but dont discount the others, until you have tried them

Bean

Welcome to the forum.

Here's my two penny worth. I've used a Record #5 for more years than I care to think about and it's got the job done but... I only bought it because in those days, I couldn't afford anything bigger.

I've come to the conclusion that a big general purpose plane can do anything a small general purpose plane can do - and more. I'm now looking lustfully at the Veritas #6 after I tried one at a tool show. I know that a five minute flirtation with a tool at a show means next to nothing but I have a suspicion that it could just be the most versatile plane around.

Nobody else seems to like the #6 but I'd be happy to be seen out with one!

Regards.

Evergreen":3cz5kqkj said:
I know that a five minute flirtation with a tool at a show means next to nothing

Heh. Unless the vendor is truly incompetant, any plane offered for test at a show should be well fettled, and (at least) sharp.

The workpieces offered are probably "known to work" too.

BugBear

bugbear":3w11if7j said:
Evergreen":3w11if7j said:
I know that a five minute flirtation with a tool at a show means next to nothing

Heh. Unless the vendor is truly incompetant, any plane offered for test at a show should be well fettled, and (at least) sharp.

The workpieces offered are probably "known to work" too.

BugBear

Oh ye of little faith :D :D

To all,

I appreciate what you all have stated and I will go with the Jack first.

I am making small furniture first and then working my way up. Nice to know there are knowledgeable folks that will/can give advice to newbie like me. :lol:

I apologise for posting then "disappearing" but I posted that approx 2 am and now here I am again at 4am :roll: Just working late but looking forward to w/end and one new plane :D :shock:

Thanks to all.

Cheers.

I have an :idea: I will be back!

I know it's a little late, but I also bought the low angle jack and the high angle balde as my first (quality) plane and it is trully excellent!!!!! I even used it as a monster block plane for trimming/chamfering simply because it was so much better than my stanley 60 1/2.

I now also have a LV Bevel Up Smoother (very very good!!) and a LN 60 1/2 block plane (brilliant!!) - incidentally I chose the LN block because the LV felt big and clumsy in my hand, whereas the LN fits like it grew there.

I know that this little collection is more than adequate for the jobs I have in store and I will not be buying any more!!! (that's what I said after the low angle jack too).

Damn that slope!!!

Hi all,

whahooooooooo! I bought the low-angle jack plane today!

So just in time for the w/end! :)

BTW I asked the toolstore where I bought the plane (a large reputable dealer for Veritas) and asked for microcrystaline wax (as per another another thread - well that's were I read about it) and they looked at me blankly.

So more to research and obtain from somewhere else. Offhand does anyone have a few brand names for this?

After shelling out the big numeros I want to look after it.

Appreciated,

Cheers :) :) :) :) :) :)

Hi there.

I'm a big fan of microcrystalline wax although many people have never heard of it. You've obviously sourced some already but just in case you haven't, I recommend "Renaissance" wax - which is the one used by many museums in this country. The stuff is just so versatile and you only need a tiny dab. I've even used it on old, scuffed, hard backed book covers - brings them up a treat!

Regards.

Was glancing through the latest Good Woodworking Magazine. One of the authors
said he can do just about everything with the LV BU Jack plane with xtra blade set at higher
angle and his stanley block plane.

Back