Veritas Mitre / Miter plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
frankederveen":304ore0q said:
Not 100% sure what the mitre plane is for, but for the same, or actually a little less, money you can have their shooting plane: https://www.dictum.com/en/tools/woo...hooting-plane-right-handed?ffRefKey=tp-NadGnb which has a skewed PM-V11 blade. They also make a metal track which is quite nice.

The shooting plane is pretty much dedicated for a shooting board. The mitre plane, on the other hand, would be equally at home on a mitre jack (where the shooting plane would be too large and unbalanced owing to the position of the handle).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Mr_Big Nose said last Dec 2015":3lcjnyfq said:
This was mentioned a few months back on a page about the Lie Nielsen no 9 imitre plane, just spotted it for sale at Dictum tools Germany for 359 Euros which today = £262.50

Eeek today still priced at 359 Euros but = £322.79

Looks like PaulC had the right idea, if you are planning on treating yourself to an imported plane find a UK stockist and be quick about it, don't wait until Christmas.

Mr_P":29wnohqd said:
Mr_Big Nose said last Dec 2015":29wnohqd said:
This was mentioned a few months back on a page about the Lie Nielsen no 9 imitre plane, just spotted it for sale at Dictum tools Germany for 359 Euros which today = £262.50

Must ... resist ... political .. comment .. but ... so .... hard. :D

BugBear

When I see what you guys have available on ebay on a regular basis, I wonder why anyone would want to buy new planes.

I've been clipping things off of ebay UK lately thanks to the shipping program, but the shipper sure sucks!! They claim that most of the stuff I've ordered has been at my zip code post office for 6 days and offer no contact point to ask why the packages are not being delivered. Ebay works the same way, the only way I can get customer service is to file a claim against the seller, which would be unfair to them since ebay is the one who arranged the shipping.

At any rate, I've knocked off a record 4 1/2 for 20 quid (something you couldn't come close to finding here) and a nice cast panel plane that is made with nice design, and a gaggle of various branded #4 size planes of english makes to compare to the stanley. If I wasn't loaded up on planes in general, I'd snag a miter plane and a bunch of other stuff, but it would end up being duplicates of what I have (which I guess could be said for the panel plane and the smoother).

D_W":3s9134r6 said:
When I see what you guys have available on ebay on a regular basis, I wonder why anyone would want to buy new planes.

I've been clipping things off of ebay UK lately thanks to the shipping program, but the shipper sure sucks!! They claim that most of the stuff I've ordered has been at my zip code post office for 6 days and offer no contact point to ask why the packages are not being delivered. Ebay works the same way, the only way I can get customer service is to file a claim against the seller, which would be unfair to them since ebay is the one who arranged the shipping.

At any rate, I've knocked off a record 4 1/2 for 20 quid (something you couldn't come close to finding here) and a nice cast panel plane that is made with nice design, and a gaggle of various branded #4 size planes of english makes to compare to the stanley. If I wasn't loaded up on planes in general, I'd snag a miter plane and a bunch of other stuff, but it would end up being duplicates of what I have (which I guess could be said for the panel plane and the smoother).

It cuts both ways DW. Just down the road from you is the Irion Lumber Yard, you could pick up the phone and order some of the best Curly Cherry that's ever been felled.

http://www.irionlumber.com/index.php?page=cherry-sets

Here in the UK I can just about source enough Curly Cherry to offer high end Shaker style furniture,

Curly-Cherry.jpg

But Irion have 24" wide boards, anything over 14" is really prized here, and I've never seen Curly Cherry wider than 18" in the UK market.

Attachments

• Curly-Cherry.jpg
    Curly-Cherry.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 1,772
bugbear":2dpr8lxd said:
Mr_P":2dpr8lxd said:
Mr_Big Nose said last Dec 2015":2dpr8lxd said:

Must ... resist ... political .. comment .. but ... so .... hard. :D

BugBear

Me too, I've said what I had to say, no point repeating it, repeating it, repeating it..........

custard":2s2szjfh said:
D_W":2s2szjfh said:

It cuts both ways DW. Just down the road from you is the Irion Lumber Yard, you could pick up the phone and order some of the best Curly Cherry that's ever been felled.

http://www.irionlumber.com/index.php?page=cherry-sets

Here in the UK I can just about source enough Curly Cherry to offer high end Shaker style furniture,

But Irion have 24" wide boards, anything over 14" is really prized here, and I've never seen Curly Cherry wider than 18" in the UK market.

I guess you're right about that. It's expensive even here, though (the wide boards)!

Horizon is close to here, also expensive for through and through sawn lumber, but we have some local guys who will cut slightly less well than horizon saws their lumber for a fraction of the price.

At any rate, I have managed to plunder your ebay and some of your dealers at half of what we'd pay for things over here, and have just finally now gotten indication that some of it will be delivered today.

I shall keep my eye out and continue until my wife threatens divorce. I'm trying to score a fairly uncommon sorby long plane on ebay right now, but I suspect the locals will ultimately want it more than me (so much that I'm not afraid to mention it here, losing the auction is inevitable). I like your vintage stuff better than ours...shame the post rates are triple or quadruple for me what they are for you guys.

Back