Veritas Mark II Honing Guide

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally a Jig wide enough to sharpen the 65 MM blade I bought from Lee Valley 20+ years ago. I've been nursing that grudge a long time...

Looks like a wonderful product!

I do almost all my sharpening freeehand, which I find is all the more reason to own a Jig since eventually the time will come when the bevels need re-setting, or in some case hollow grinding. I was surprised to discover that a lot of those Japanese masters who win planing contest use jigs, well maybe not that surprised.

Folks,

A great big fat update to the not-review regarding the clamping of chisels with the proper, production, one you get when you buy it, clamping bar. The majority of the chisel section has been rewritten to reflect the noticable improvement.

Cheers, Alf

There'll be a separate projection jig for skew chisels.... we didn't want to bulk up the price of the basic system by including it....

And a narrow (and/or) convex roller for cambered blades?

BugBear (and Lyn ;-)

£30 until mid August btw. Just call BriMarc to join the queue. We are awaiting confirmation of delivery but it will be soon.

Just happened upon this and since sharpening is always relevant I thought i'd update two things. The price in the link of the OP is almost up to £51.

http://www.brimarc.com/products/Veritas-Mk.II-Honing-System-377359.htm

And the other thing is there is a small Youtube demo of the tool which helps clear up a few things i didn't understand from the review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-eBZAh3g3g

So the second cheapest is Axminster. right now at £50.95 There is another that is about one pound less but you'd have to open an account etc... Just to save that pound.

Thanks for the review, it made my mind up

woodsworth":39eivjkc said:
The price in the link of the OP is almost up to £51.
Before anyone else states the obvious, the date on Alf's original post was 2005...5 years ago - Rob

I just ordered one. I was thinking that at this rate in a couple of years it will be out of my price range to justify ever getting one. I did see the date on the original post, but as i said honing and sharpening is always relevant, it didn't make sense to make a new thread when this one was so good.

I bought one at Christmas...part of my AXMINSTER SITTINGBOURNE trip...

Brilliant little thing and as Alf says in his original review, very well engineered.

It looks a little complicated at first but it isn't. It just needs a few goes to get the idea and you are off. I keep forgetting to reset the bevel knob though! DOH!

Axminster had them on sale when I was there...£47 I think.

Jim

I got one as a chrimbo present. It really is quite excellent.

Bang on 90 degree edge with ease first time out. Well worth the money.

I am annoyed that the dovetail saw has gone up 20%+ though.

Thanks flounder,
Just e-mailed Axminster to see if they will meet Rutlands price or Whether i need to return the item. It hasn't arrived so i may not take possession of it if i don't get an answer from them before it comes. I hate things like this but £5 is better in my pocket then anyone else's.

So Rutlands has the best price. Not by much because they charge postage and Axminster doesn't. I wonder why Rutlands didn't show up when i did a search. Even stranger It didn't show up in their search box either. I actually had to go into sharpening link to find it.... I'm sure they are missing out on some sales.

jimi43":1kjs0a2v said:
Brilliant little thing and as Alf says in his original review, very well engineered.
Jim,
The guide is indeed a good tool, but Alf is not a him, :shock: you are not the first to make that mistake and I doubt you will be the last, A L F are her initials, not her name. :D

jimi43":orsevjn4 said:
I bought one at Christmas...part of my AXMINSTER SITTINGBOURNE trip...

It looks a little complicated at first but it isn't. It just needs a few goes to get the idea and you are off. I keep forgetting to reset the bevel knob though! DOH!

Axminster had them on sale when I was there...£47 I think.

Jim

Is Alf not a her?

Mick

Is this what you call a quiet word in ones ear? :lol:

I'm quite sure Alf is used to it by now.

Nothing like a Chivalrous chippy ridding in on a shiny plane to make the rescue. Cues the Monty Python theme song.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back