Veritas dovetail saw handle alignmnent

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Handworkfan

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just bought a Veritas dovetail saw - haven't had a chance to use it yet, and am a little reluctant to until I investigate this point.
The handle on my saw is visibly misaligned at the mounting point on the spine - maybe a couple of millimeters to the left, so that on the left the side of the handle projects, and on the right the extended spine by the same amount.As it should be, the handle is firmly located and loosening the mounting bolt does not allow any adjustment.
having spent time practising the skill of cutting dead square with my existing saws, I'm a little unhappy about the prospect of having to accustom myself to one with a twisted handle.
Has anyone else noticed this fault, or is mine a one-off?

Handworkfan":2qnev1f8 said:
I've just bought a Veritas dovetail saw - haven't had a chance to use it yet, and am a little reluctant to until I investigate this point.
The handle on my saw is visibly misaligned at the mounting point on the spine - maybe a couple of millimeters to the left, so that on the left the side of the handle projects, and on the right the extended spine by the same amount.As it should be, the handle is firmly located and loosening the mounting bolt does not allow any adjustment.
having spent time practising the skill of cutting dead square with my existing saws, I'm a little unhappy about the prospect of having to accustom myself to one with a twisted handle.

Given that the handle is reversibly removable, I'd detach, and look for foreign matter in the handle/saw interface.

BugBear

Handworkfan":v2zb3c0k said:

That's very disappointing to hear, let alone for you having ordered it. For what it's worth I don't think many people have this saw yet so it might be difficult to gauge how widespread the fault is. In any case, widespread or not, it is probably something that shouldn't be tolerated and you should return the saw, trying to fix it might void your right of return. If ordered online there is a cooling off period within which you can send it back. Could it be a weak point in the design?

I've just been out to w/s and mine's fine. it does have little packing pads to help line up to stop movement. guess if your not happy, i'd return it. But if your happy having a go you could repair it. but remember if you start choppig at it a return later maybe a problem.
pete

Handworkfan":hv1vgm1w said:

Hi -

You shouldn't have a mis-aligned one... If your dealer won't swap it for you - I'll be glad too - just email me directly.

Cheers -

Rob

Thanks, Rob - I'm sure they'll change it for me, they're a good outfit (Classic hand tools) - just thought I'd check first to see what others' experiences were.

Handworkfan":hzrrnpvm said:
Thanks, Rob - I'm sure they'll change it for me, they're a good outfit (Classic hand tools) - just thought I'd check first to see what others' experiences were.

Mike's an excellent fellow - I have no doubt he'll put it right for you....

Cheers -

Rob

yes, i agree about Mike - I have very high regard for him on account of his promotion of hand tools and skill through the westonbirt event each year -0 the only show I know of wher the emphasis is on hand working.
I'v eheard from CHT that they have a good saw in stock and will swap it and refundmy postage - can't say fairer than that, can they!
Superb tools, sold by top suppliers. =D>

I got mine from CHT and it is fine.

It is a comfortable saw to use, perhaps I am lucky that it fits in my hand perfectly.
When I picked it up I thought it was lightweight, but when sawing it has just the right weight to cut effortlessly.

whiteant":5xkag6gf said:
I got mine from CHT and it is fine.

It is a comfortable saw to use, perhaps I am lucky that it fits in my hand perfectly.
When I picked it up I thought it was lightweight, but when sawing it has just the right weight to cut effortlessly.

it looks and feels good, and I can't wait to try out the good one when it arrives. I've got a lot of Veritas tools and have great confidence in their products - with one notable exception I've never bought a tool of theirs I didn't like.
It'll be going head to head with a L-N and a custom-made Wenzloff, so it will be really interesting to see how it fares. :)

Back