Veritas Chisel Plane?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lol:

Seems everyone is as bemused by it as I was!

It's just a jig to hold your chisel. I can't personally see using it to cut rabbets. Does it even have a nicker? [Little blade on the side ] If you want to cut rabbets look for an used Stanely. Likely cost less.

Well I thought the accompanying blurb was pretty self-explanatory :lol: I haven't tried it myself, but I suppose it boils down to whether you see a use for it or not. It's got all the features of the basic wooden rebate plane that craftsmen used for centuries - you just need to score cross grain with a knife or gauge and provide a batten to run against in lieu of a fence. It's all doable, but I do wonder how easy it is to hold and so forth. Of course you have the comfort that Veritas don't as a rule unleash unusable tools on the woodworking public, and Brimarc are very good if you have a problem (end of advert for them both - they're not paying me :wink: )

Cheers, Alf

Personally, if I owned it, I would use it with a chisel I cut off at the top of the blade. It's about the length of an 043.

It would be similar in use to something like my small Preston bullnose rabbet plane--only with a mouth which is more opened. And possibly without as firm of bedding for the blade due to a single brass screw to afix the chisel.

It seems that for £29.12, one could get several decent user planes from a boot sale. Axminster has a new 778-type rebate plane for £31.98. The fence is handy and far better than the Stanley 78.

Take care, Mike

Latest posts

Back