Quantcast

Veneering

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

deserter

Established Member
Reaction score
I have to veneer a small table top at home soon, at work I would use a two part resin glue and heated press and have the job done in under 20 mins. However at home I have no press or vacuum press, so I'm forced to work differently, I'm torn between methods so I wondered what others use, the 2 which are currently battling in my head are either contact adhesive or some of that heat activated glue film stuff sold at veneer suppliers.

Paul Chapman

Established Member
Reaction score
deserter":2h8a2ezj said:
contact adhesive or some of that heat activated glue film stuff sold at veneer suppliers.
I wouldn't use contact adhesive. In my experience it eventually dries out completely and the veneer will lift. It might take a few years but eventually it will fail. Glue film would be better but the best would be Scotch glue.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Cheshirechappie

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure that I'm in any position to offer advice on veneering; the only such I've ever done was a small box, using PVA and flat cauls with every clamp I could find. Worked fine, and lasted; not sure it would work well on a larger surface.

You can get Liquid Hide Glue, which I gather can be thinned by standing the pot in a bowl of hot water. That might make the traditional 'hot scotch glue' method a bit easier in the home workshop.

Woodwould

Established Member
Reaction score
xy mosian":36wkf29p said:
Had you thought about Scotch glue veneering? Have a look at this guy, a very down to earth method. I have used it and found it to be very successful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inyVp5r7 ... ature=plcp

xy
The chap in the video makes it look very simple. It's even simpler than it looks! It's a very forgiving process and virtually impossible to screw up.

deserter

Established Member
Reaction score
I'll second that, I started using the hot melt glue film, which was pretty much useless. Then after watching that video, I redid it all using scotch glue which has done a perfect job.

Teckel

Established Member
Reaction score
Oh I love pot glue. It was the only glue allowed in our workshop when we were at restoration.
If your a novice with this glue,you could heat up your workpiece to be venered with a heatgun or iron to give you a little bit of extra time to get your bearings..and work as quick as you can.
Very easy glue to use. I love the smell of it...!!

Teckel

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
I realise you have the solution now, but just a note for future readers of this thread:
You can get excellent results on flat panels with compliant veneers, using one of those vacuum bags for clothes storage. You won't get the same vac pull as with a pump, which is why I say use it for forgiving projects rather than bumpy burrs on a curved caul, but it really does do a good job.
S