Veneering help please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My63

Established Member
Reaction score
I am hoping someone might be able to help me.
I am converting this Art Deco cutlery box into a jewellery box for my wife.
I cut the edges to book match as best as I could and taped the joints

IMG_4310 by my0771, on Flickr

The iron I use for veneer tripped the circuit breaker so I had to use the clothes iron to fix the veneer.
Anyway when I removed the tape this is what I found there is a gap between the edges.

IMG_4312 by my0771, on Flickr

My first thought was to rip it all off but I really like it and I don't know if I will be able to get anymore.
My next thought was as I had planned on edging the veneer with either a light or dark contrast I would fill the gap with the same contrasting wood.

Thanks
Michael

Thanks for the prompt replies I have fixed the second image.
I was using waterproof pva everything and was dry.
Herringbone is an interesting idea
Thanks.
Michael

Sorry for the slow reply, but it looks like you have inlaid a fine Boxwood or similar line or that's what I would have done.
I am not a fan of using PVA for veneering; I would rather use a UF and cramp or press rather than iron.
Looks good now though, we all have problems it’s how we get over them that counts :!:

Hi Peter
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Yes I have opened the gap and let in a boxwood line I was thinking of adding a border around the edges but I am not sure.
I have thought about using hide glue but the glue pot puts me off.
I think my problem was caused by the tape I used the glue softened with the heat of the iron and allowed the veneer to move.
There is still lots for me to learn but as this is the first four way book match I think it is ok.
Great website btw
Thanks again
Michael

don't be put off by the glue pot and hide glue. it is fantastic for things like this, and if it all went wrong, you could have just steamed off the veneer and started again!

I thought you might like to see how this conversion was doing.

IMG_4428_1 by my0771, on Flickr

I have finished applying the wenge veneer around the outside of the box and have started sanding which may take sometime.
I have also started making the internal dividers.
Thanks for the help

Michael

Hi Marcos
This was my third attempt I found a nice font and printed the name in the size I wanted and stuck the paper onto card and cut it out.
( well actually I asked my wife to cut it out I still find scissors difficult to use).
I had a piece of card a little smaller than the inside of the lid which I stuck the pieces too.
I did not take pictures of the second and third attempts but this is my first

IMG_4210 by my0771, on Flickr

IMG_4219 by my0771, on Flickr

I think it is better if the card is not too thick I got the idea from a chap who does book binding

IMG_4650_1 by my0771, on Flickr

The last picture is my latest attempt at embossing

Thanks

Michael

excellent. looks really good. I assume that Fiona and Andrea should never meet?

I don't know who Andrea is but I am married to Angela and Fiona is a fountain pen collector who wanted a box to hold her ink bottles so I think I am safe there.

Back