Veneered external doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JoinerySolutions":96ymmpxd said:
This is not a 'Hijack', purely an effort to stop erroneous advice.

Where is the 'erroneous' advice? A civilised person would have asked 'I don't quite follow' or words to that effect. But no, you had to make it personal. I admit the other thread was wrong. I apologised and also asked that it be removed as I thought it would damage the harmony of the forum. But oh no, you have to rake it all up again.

At least I had the guts to apologise when I was wrong.

Deafening silence! I wasn't going to respond, but what the hell!

I am not qualified to judge whether RogerS's door is correctly designed or not, but my judgement is that his post was made in good faith. When I post my own meagre efforts I am happy to accept constructive criticism rather than platitudes so that I can learn how to improve my work, and I am grateful for those offerings because I think I have received far more from this forum than I have been able to give. What I would not accept tho' is for a posting, whether technically correct or not, to result in an attack on me as a person.

This evening I was preparing a new WIP thread for an oak bookcase I'm building but I've shelved it - pun intended - as I'm not prepared to open myself up to personal abuse, even from those apparantly more knowledgeable and skilled than me.

I suspect that the Mods will pull this thread, but whilst it remains I shalln't be posting any more of my work.

RogerM":1cuznpbq said:
This evening I was preparing a new WIP thread for an oak bookcase I'm building but I've shelved it - pun intended - as I'm not prepared to open myself up to personal abuse, even from those apparantly more knowledgeable and skilled than me.

RogerM - please don't feel that way. I'm sure we'd all enjoy seeing what you've been up to and we're generally not ones to judge. I suspect that this topic has gone off-course due to an incident that's probably happened on another forum, or elsewhere...

Back the Paul's original topic - as has already been said; doors like this are pretty simple to make. Perhaps the most challenging part is going to be working with something of this size - clamping it up and handling the assembled door in the workshop, but also, prepared the two stiles to be straight and true at the beginning. If you ask nicely, some yards/merchants may do this part for you, and even do it 'properly' (ie. face and edge before thicknessing, rather than just stick any old length through a four-sider).

I don't see why you can't make it out of pine (redwood), either. Alright, it won't be as durable as an oak door but, providing it's looked after, it could last twenty years, perhaps. You'd definitely need a weatherbar on the bottom to keep the rain off, as also mentioned earlier.

RogerM":3cp7h1zg said:

I wouldn't worry about it Roger. There seem to be a few rogue threads at the moment, most of which stems from over there.

I'd post away. I know I will be, even if I do get shot down!

Cheers

Karl

RogerM":cwt2cbdn said:
I am not qualified to judge whether RogerS's door is correctly designed or not, but my judgement is that his post was made in good faith. When I post my own meagre efforts I am happy to accept constructive criticism rather than platitudes so that I can learn how to improve my work, and I am grateful for those offerings because I think I have received far more from this forum than I have been able to give. What I would not accept tho' is for a posting, whether technically correct or not, to result in an attack on me as a person.

I suspect that the Mods will pull this thread, but whilst it remains I shalln't be posting any more of my work.

I agree with RogM here 100% fwiw, Roger's post on his door was made (in my view) with the best of intentions and was not there to mislead or give false or poor information.

RogM, I for one would be very happy to see what progress you're making on the bookshelf and am more than happy to offer constructive advice (as we've been doing recently via PM's). I take the same view as you when I post WIP threads on stuff that I've been making in that constructive views are always welcome, be they negative or positive, provided that the poster is able to offer some justification for his or her views...so please post a WIP thread on the bookcase - Rob

RogerM":27blkpqx said:

I hope you'll reconsider, Roger - I always enjoy reading your WIP stuff.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

JoinerySolutions":3b0utimp said:
Sheesh! I thought your failed 'Ethics' post would have taught you something! You are not as good as your ego dictates. Yet you continue to post as an authority, all of the deity's protect those who take your word as gospel.
I don't often post like this but I hate people getting taken for a ride, I have been working 27 years in the carpentry and joinery trade and worked hard to get where I am, I never pass on erroneous information, if I am not sure, I say so, or research before I say anything, then only if convinced.
There are many chancers out there, don't be one of them. (or a victim either)

Rob ( known on other sites, where I am able to use the name, Rob-GB)

N.B. This post is with respect to all forum members who appreciate honesty and sound advice while enjoying the experience of being here.

I'm normally the last to spring to rogers defence (see the thread on sports car taxation for example) but surely I am not alone in being truly and heartily sick of this continuing argument sprung from rogers BW article.

I'm not an expert and dont have sufficient skills to evaluate the techincal accuracy of what roger wrote - but I do wish that if people have a problem with what was written in BW they take it up with Nick via the magazine, rather than having a continual sniping match here and on the otherside.

Nice door Roger.
The only thing which struck me as odd is the narrowness of the bottom rail. They are usually a good bit wider - big mortices and tenons making the structure stronger. But if it's a copy then so be it.

respectfully etc

Mr G Rimsdale":yc1pjal4 said:
Nice door Roger.
The only thing which struck me as odd is the narrowness of the bottom rail. They are usually a good bit wider - big mortices and tenons making the structure stronger. But if it's a copy then so be it.

respectfully etc

Jacob - you've been banned from the other side, so why come over here dung stirring, "respectfully" or otherwise?

Cheers

Karl

OPJ":33vb26bq said:
RogerM":33vb26bq said:

RogerM - please don't feel that way. I'm sure we'd all enjoy seeing what you've been up to and we're generally not ones to judge. I suspect that this topic has gone off-course due to an incident that's probably happened on another forum, or elsewhere...

Also just to register another "+1" for roger M to post his bookcase WIP - the pineappling about with regard to rogers S's posts stems from a very specific circumstance and its not likely that you would get the same type of "personal abuse" - or that the mods would tolerate it if you did.

Being a newbie to this forum have been quite surprised by the earlier comments in this thread.

There are obviously not only professional cabinet makers, but very tallented amateurs and individuals with a great deal of enthusiasm for working with wood using this forum.

Maybe the "Professionals" out there should be professional and offer constructive advice to others rather than just putting their work down.

No doubt I will get shot down for this view but hey guys come on lets help each other and play nicely!!! :roll: :roll:

A sticking out water rail / drip rail whatever you call it, is the easiest but not the best detail IMHO as it spoils the line of the door, and if it becomes the slightest bit loose it forms a water trap in itself, and can cause rot behind it.
There are other alternatives - best of all is a water bar. A steel or brass flat bar (say 1/4" thick) set into the floor but sticking up directly underneath the middle of the door. The front bottom edge of the door is rebated so that the back of the rebate closes up against the bar. The top of the rebate would have a drip groove. It looks very neat and works really well - but not easy to do unless it's a new build and the floor and threshold are being worked on anyway.

Mr G Rimsdale":2jsmqh08 said:
A sticking out water rail / drip rail whatever you call it, is the easiest but not the best detail IMHO as it spoils the line of the door, and if it becomes the slightest bit loose it forms a water trap in itself, and can cause rot behind it.
There are other alternatives - best of all is a water bar. A steel or brass flat bar (say 1/4" thick) set into the floor but sticking up directly underneath the middle of the door. The front bottom edge of the door is rebated so that the back of the rebate closes up against the bar. The top of the rebate would have a drip groove. It looks very neat and works really well - but not easy to do unless it's a new build and the floor and threshold are being worked on anyway.

Thank you for the added info, Jacob. You're spot on with the water trap. Your other comment was very fair but, as you say, the door was a copy!

Back