Veneer?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NOTTNICK

Established Member
Reaction score
About to try to spruce up an old gate leg table.
Confused as it all looks like solid construction, I've exposed the timber underneath too to check.
However, the exposed wood on one section looks to be quite different even though the grain is fairly similar.
I don't want to sand it down any more if it turns out to be veneer, but as it is really dirty, I can't really tell.
A couple of photos attached.
Any suggestions?
If it is veneer, I'll have to think of another plan.
Cheers
Nick

Attachments

• IMG_0224 (Copy).JPG
    IMG_0224 (Copy).JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_0225 (Copy).JPG
    IMG_0225 (Copy).JPG
    217.8 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_0223 (Copy).JPG
    IMG_0223 (Copy).JPG
    227.6 KB · Views: 143
^ What he said!

Is this panel/leaf removeable as part of a table extension arrangement? If so, it's perhaps had a rather different life from that of the main table (e.g. stashed in an unheated loft or garage and only brought out for Xmas etc.). The panel certainly looks like it could be solid wood. Cheers, W2S

PS - sorry, just re-read your post - it's a gate leg table! More likely to be as solid as the side leaves. I suppose the central leaf has still had a different life from the side panels, but for different reasons!!

Of course - I should have thought of the end grain.
Looks like I'll be OK (photo).
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0226 (Copy).JPG
    IMG_0226 (Copy).JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 95
Looks like solid Oak to me, just not the most high quality product as some boards are quarter sawn and show Oak's signature medullary rays, and some boards are plain or rift sawn and therefore show a different figure. But having said that, it's still way better than anything for sale at Oak Furniture Land!

Good luck!

Ta
I just got a bit anxious when the wood underneath the top layer was SO different. I've worked quite a lot with oak in the past but the layer underneath looked more like something much less refined.
I'm re-finishing it for a friend and had an awful image of me stripping off a veneer and totally wrecking it.
It's great to have other opinions, even though my head said 'OK' I knew I could rely on some support from the forum.

Nick

Hopefully, it'll end up looking very nice - don't forget to show us an "after" photo! Cheers, W2S

Latest posts

Back