Veneer substrate Question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noddy67

Established Member
Reaction score
There was a good article recently in fine woodworking talking about making up veneered panels using a core of "blackboard", covering it with two thin sheets of mdf and then veneering the outside faces of that with the wood veneer of choice. I think the rationale was a combination of stability and weight, with thicker mdc panels just getting too heavy.

Has anyone tried this and/or know where one can buy blackboard over in the UK. Also what other substates do people use to try and keep the weight down for larger pieces of furniture.

Many thanks

there was a discussion on this the other day. the UK blockboard is not up to the spec of that in the USA, and a number of people were using birch ply between the skins of mdf.

Are you sure it wasn't "blockboard"? This has virtually disappeared now in favour of MDF but used to be the normal choice for sheet goods. It had a centre made up of relatively light weight softwood battens, between balancing and show layers of veneer. It was lighter than ply or MDF and was good for shelves as it was stiffer the way the battens went. I mostly used it in 18mm thickness but I believe other thicknesses were made.

autocorrect I think- I also typed blockboard and it was "corrected"!

It was autocorrected. I'm talking about blockboard.
Macros do u have a link to the discussion pls?

Any ideas about a lighter substrate solution?

I have just done some fitted office desktops with 20mm Indonesian hardwood block-board (£30+VAT a full sheet from Hanson's) + 6mm Oak Veneered plywood laminated together. I have then added solid oak edging to cap it all off.

Works quite well as the block-board is quite light and rigid compared to something like MDF which can sag, has problematic dust, and just isn't as nice to work with.

I also remember a variant called laminboard which used much thinner core strips so was a bit denser and stronger. It might be worth searching for if you don't like the quality of blockboard on offer as it will have fewer and smaller voids.

AndyT":276dr7dy said:
I also remember a variant called laminboard which used much thinner core strips so was a bit denser and stronger. It might be worth searching for if you don't like the quality of blockboard on offer as it will have fewer and smaller voids.

I'm currently trying to source a sample sheet of a premium, double skinned laminboard from Premier Forest Products. This is supposed to be the best of the blockboards. I'll let you know how I get on.

Back