Varnish or oil?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartpaul

Established Member
Reaction score
Just about to start the finishing process for the grandfather clock I've spent hours on and am agonising on the finish.

I tend to be a varnish user considering it to be (generally) harder wearing and a bit more forgiving in application.

Have also used danish oil for a few smaller projects and quite pleased with the results.

For this project I'd almost certainly use two coats of varnish (first one thinned) and more probably three. I know that to use danish oil would probably mean about six to get the sort of finish I want to achieve as it goes on much thinner.

Any views on what would provide the best finish? Not looking for high gloss so satin varnish or the danish oil 'sheen' are fine.

I'd go with Oil, Wax or a combination of the two. Using varnish on a Longcase clock doesn't do a lot for it really. It's not going to be subject to any particular wear and tear and although a little more labour intensive, the Oil will give a far superior hand finish, which can be refreshed over the years if necessary.

BUT Shellac is the best traditional finish as Nick has just said!

If the clock is in traditional style then I would stick with the traditional finish - shellac. Often if things are done in a way that clashes with the expected norm (no, not :norm: - small n), then try as you may, they just look wrong.

Of course if you have made the thing in a traditional style but with non-traditional materials (zebrano grandfather clock anyone?) then this goes out of the window.

Thanks for your views, - I really do not consider myself a competent enough finisher to even consider shellac. I'd need to practice on a couple of jobs first.

I was probably leaning more towards a varnish finish as I tend to know what I'm doing with it. However, I do like the overall appearance oil gives and I take the point about traditional finish so looks like I'll go with that.

Also going to use some of the gel stain I picked up in the states (haven't seen any over here) and recommended by his Normness. A couple of trial runs have come out well.

Latest posts

Back