Various olive ash forms

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornucopia

Established Member
Reaction score
hello folks

here are a few forms that i've made recently.

they are all ash most are half olive heartwood and half sapwood and a couple have the darker black heart colouration.

7"tall x 4"wide
P1200259_zps37b455c8.jpg

6"tall by 3" wide
P1200269_zps2d2ddb25.jpg

P1200273_zps26356075.jpg

9" tall by 5 1/2" wide
P1200281_zps7b713af1.jpg

4"tall x 4" wide
P1200284_zps5251dbcf.jpg

3 1/2"tall x 3 1/2" wide
P1200289_zps24276f40.jpg

6" tall x 4 1/2" wide
P1200291_zps4d91b2f3.jpg

6" tall x 4" wide
P1200295_zps4ebf18d1.jpg

4" tall x 4" wide
P1200299_zps40ebe22f.jpg

8" tall x 5 1/2" wide
P1200317_zps62888f7a.jpg

7" tall x 5" wide
P1200336_zps535b9108.jpg

Excellent George,love the colour of the Ash :D
Is Olive Ash a seperate species of Ash or is it just a fungus that gets into a normal Ash tree to give it that colouring??

Thanks George :D
So do you know if that would happen if the Ash was stored in log form or is summat that happens while the tree is living??
I have a few decent size logs of Ash that have been kept outside now for about 3-4 years.

while the tree is living Paul a bit like brown oak- all that happens to ash in storage is the sapwood discolours and sometimes slightly spalts.

Olive Ash is purely the darker heartwood found in some Ash trees, used without the white section it is a dead ringer for Olive hence the name.

Andy

I do like the smooth flowing shapes of these George. So simple but hard to achieve this quality. On a purely personal level feel the bead on the first few breaks the flow up and prefer the simplicity of the others.

Pete

Some amazing work there, the flow, the grain, the colours.....all impressive!.

Always enjoy seeing your work George :)

The last one is my favourite from a lovely bunch.

Cheers, Paul

andersonec":6dw3ssc7 said:
Olive Ash is purely the darker heartwood found in some Ash trees, used without the white section it is a dead ringer for Olive hence the name.

Andy

I always thought that this was the case as well (told to me by my usual timber supplier). It's more likely to occur in bigger trees

I'm not sure that all heartwood in ash has olive figureing is correct- when i go to fetch my logs i dock the ends of dozens of logs before i find the olive figureing, most of the heartwood I find is just dull brown.

more reading here which links it to bacteria/fungal attack

more here which attributes it to older trees and bucking

I dont know what exactly cause's it or why i'm just glad i have access to lots of it :mrgreen:

Excellent work. You've captured real Beauty in those pieces.

I have a photography related question. The graduated background, is that photoshop'd in or have you a card in situ in real life?

Actually any detail about the studio setup would be helpful in taking good quality images of turnings. I currently use a DSLR on a tripod with long shutter speeds. So I can get sharp focus, decent lighting and good depth of field. Just need to sort my backgrounds.

Thanks in advance

Rob.

very nice collection of hollow forms well presented a pleasure to look at like the grain patterns
regards
Bill

Back