Varifocal glasses and turning - get 'lathe distance' glasses

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oddsocks

Established Member
Reaction score
I normally wear fairly low strength varifocal glasses but still found that when at the lathe I had to hold my head up to be able to look through the correct part of the lens - very uncomfortable.

At my last eye test I was tested for normal prescription (long distance and reading) then had a third one determined for 'long distance reading' - I held the eyetest book at full arm's length (basically lathe distance). I then bought the cheapest frames (£39) with that single distance lens. Those glasses now stay by the lathe and when worn let me hold my head at the most comfortable angle.

I also have a pair of normal reading glasses but its surprising the difference in prescription between them and lathe distance ones.

I have varifoals as well and had the same problem but I also use contacts so most of the time I use them. It also solves the problem of getting sap and polish on the glasses which is a pig to get off.

Pete

Bodrighy wrote
It also solves the problem of getting sap and polish on the glasses which is a pig to get off.
Pete.Don't you wear a full face visor or goggles :shock:
Paul.J.

:( I find that if I wear goggles or a full face visor, my specs mist up. It's really bad with goggles particularly if it's warm and I'm sweating a bit.

JackL":19l50sm2 said:
:( I find that if I wear goggles or a full face visor, my specs mist up. It's really bad with goggles particularly if it's warm and I'm sweating a bit.
I had the same problem so invested in a Trend Air shield - solved the problem

Paul.J":15afwt27 said:
Bodrighy wrote
It also solves the problem of getting sap and polish on the glasses which is a pig to get off.
Pete.Don't you wear a full face visor or goggles :shock:
Paul.J.

I wear a visor but it is amazing how much muck flies up inside it when cutting wet wood :cry:

Pete

They come a bit expensive when you're struggling along on a small pension. Having examined them carefully, I find it hard to see just how Trend can justify the high cost.

I wear bi-focal specs as do a lot of others. When I go for my eye test I insist on them setting the focal distance where I want it on the reading section. My lathes are set at a height that matches my arm length when reading, so I have no problems with seeing what I'm doing.

I found the same as JackL when I tried a visor, steaming up. Haven't tried a power visor, but I have a chainsaw visor and will wear that, but I don't think I ever have the need to wear a visor on the lathe. When turning I always use my hand or thumb over the cutting tip to deflect the shavings away from myself. Just takes a bit of practice.

I also agree with Jack on the cost of these power masks. I do wear a dust mask, sometimes, but I try to get as much of my dust outside the shop as possible.

I have to admit that wearing glasses myself,i have found the Airshield a really good bit of kit,as i had the same problems with steaming up.
Paul.J.

JackL":2257q55q said:

...Having examined them carefully, I find it hard to see just how Trend can justify the high cost.

Agreed - the plastic quality is not very good and the battery (design and cost) are old tech - the charger also takes 16 hours (from memory) and doesn't tell you when it's done. All in all a lack of competition is keeping the price high.

I bought my visor from DM-tools as an offer with second battery and used my loyalty points to soften the apparent cost. I never fit both batteries (each lasts 4 hours) as with 2 fitted it feels too heavy.

HI

Apart from the cost the main complaint about the airshield is the batteries, but there is a way to improve that.

Below is a link to a PDF file with instructions on how to make you own which lasts longer and is quicker to recharge. I have been told that they last for over 8 hours.

It is written by an American but the parts are readilly available in shops etc over here.

http://woodworker.homestead.com/MiscPage.html

john

jpt":23sxwxfo said:
HI

Apart from the cost the main complaint about the airshield is the batteries, but there is a way to improve that.

Below is a link to a PDF file with instructions on how to make you own which lasts longer and is quicker to recharge. I have been told that they last for over 8 hours.

It is written by an American but the parts are readilly available in shops etc over here.

http://woodworker.homestead.com/MiscPage.html

john
thanks John - I think Maplin have a 3 cell holder - i'll make one up when my packs give up - having two I normally do less than 4 hours at a time so run on one pack, swap it at the end and leave on charge. Any 'major' stint with the mask would benefit from the simple design and better batteries - I have some 2600mH NimH batteries I can use.

I never checked to see if the current ones are nicd - they are covered in black heat shrink wrap.

JackL":lzf2b2ys said:
They come a bit expensive when you're struggling along on a small pension. Having examined them carefully, I find it hard to see just how Trend can justify the high cost.

Trend also do what they call the 'Air Ace' it is not a powered mask but it has an excellant filter and an optional face shield.

It is considerably cheaper than the powered Airshield and I've had no problems with glasses misting up. :D

You do look like Dart Veder when wearing it 'tho. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Interesting post from the American site, but I'm not sure I would use a battery holder if it could be avoided. When I first replaced the batteries in my Racal Airlite some time ago, I used a holder, and found that there were two problems - corrosion and movement of the batteries; not much, but enough from time to time to break the connection. Re-did the job with soldered, tagged cells, and it's still fine.
So I'd recommend soldering if possible, but you could still use the Maplin holder without its contacts to fill out the space.

i looked at my trend ones and they are niMH (doesn't say what capacity though) so not the early nicad versions, so i just swap and charge at the end of each session. I rarely go more than 4 hours and even then the helmet is not on all the time (as at the start of the thread, i wear varifocals so need to change to these to see much when I'm not actually at the lathe).

Back