Variations on the theme of three

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpt

Established Member
Reaction score
HI

These are some of my first attempts at 3 cornered bowls, as such they aren't up to gallery standards but I thought you might like to see them anyway. :)

They are all made from splatted beech, which is not the best wood to use for this, and finished with shellack sanding sealer and wax polish.

4 1/4" across points 2 1/2" tall

Then some variations

4" across points 3" tall

4" across points 4 1/2" tall

The Alien 4" across points 7" tall

Comments welcome
john

Very nice John :D
Have to agree with Pete and have that one as my favourite,though they are all good.
I'm Still trying to find out how you do it :?
Paul.J.

Real beuts John =D> - all you need to do now is tell me how the bl**dy hell do you make them! :shock:

Mark

HI

Thanks for the comments.

They are quite simple to make and painless providing you keep your fingers clear. :D

This is the blank and the drive centres I use.

Mount it on the lathe with the end you want the base to be at the headstock.

Looking at it from the tailstock end the white line shows the top edges of the bowl.

Turn the base to a chucking foot and then transfer to the chuck, still using the tailstock for support, and away you go.

For a straight 3 corner bowl as in the first two pictures the block should be a perfect cube. The others are variations of height over width.

Picture 1 is a 3"x3" cube, the alien is 3"x9" the others are inbetween I cant remember exactlly and the notebook I wrote it down in is hidding from me at the moment.

I will hopefully be turning some more soon so if you are interested I will try and do some WIP pictures.

john

Can't quite get my head around how turning a cube on it's corners ends up with a triangular shape. Am I being thick or what?

Guess I'll just have to have a go to find out.

Pete

JPT wrote
I will hopefully be turning some more soon so if you are interested I will try and do some WIP pictures.
Yes please John.Should be interesting to see.
That lathe looks nice :D

Paul.J.

Paul.J":3b065e7h said:
[
That lathe looks nice :D

:D :D

I found out today it is actually a 1hp machine so am very happy about that.

All I need to do now is upgrade it to 3 pulleys to get the torque in the mid range.

john

Hi Paul

I emailed Roger at Hegners to ask how much it would cost to upgrade it to 1hp. He checked his records and said it was sold as a 1hp and to check the motor plate if it said 0.75kw it was 1hp, I did and it was.

Hopefully I can upgrade to 3 pulleys I have emailed Roger again and I am just waiting for the reply.

When turning a 10" plus blank on the top pulley at about 1200rpm I keep slowing down and sometimes stalling the lathe. I have found two answers to this firstly take lighter cuts or secondly put it on the lower pulley at full speed. Either of these slows down the way I work, prior to buying the lathe I spent a day turning on a friends Hegner and I don't remember having the same problem.

So the other day I had another go on his lathe and found out the reason why, his has three pulleys for the speeds where mine has two. Running his lathe on the middle pulley gives me the torque to work the way I am most comftable with.

So changing it to 3 pulleys will solve the problem.

Hopefully it wont be too expensive.

john

That's great news John.
Was you taking the 0.75kw to be the 3/4hp then :?:
Just checked my motor and it says the same.
Will it be easy to change the pulleys did Roger say.
Paul.J.

HI

I hadn't even looked at the rating the gentleman I brought it from, another FM, said it was 3/4hp and as he had brought it from new I didn't question it.

I received a reply from Roger earlier.

"It is because of this problem that we changed to a three pulley system to make the most use of the torque availability in the drive.

We do an upgrade kit at a cost of £95.00 + £3.40 carriage. These prices
include VAT.

The Kit comprises 2 x 3 step pulleys. New drive belt and a speed label for
the motor control box. It does not include the label on the headstock as
this label also has the machine number stamped on it."

So I will have to sell a couple of extra bowls next weekend or persuade someone to buy me an early Christmas present. :D

jpt":pjv365s2 said:
HI

Thanks for the comments.

They are quite simple to make and painless providing you keep your fingers clear. :D

This is the blank and the drive centres I use.

Mount it on the lathe with the end you want the base to be at the headstock.

Looking at it from the tailstock end the white line shows the top edges of the bowl.

Turn the base to a chucking foot and then transfer to the chuck, still using the tailstock for support, and away you go.

For a straight 3 corner bowl as in the first two pictures the block should be a perfect cube. The others are variations of height over width.

Picture 1 is a 3"x3" cube, the alien is 3"x9" the others are inbetween I cant remember exactlly and the notebook I wrote it down in is hidding from me at the moment.

john

Mate , If you cut a flat on the head and tail stock ends of the wood , you can get a more positive hold on the corners of the wood :wink:
Measure down the three points about 3/4" then draw a line around the 3 sides and cut it off :wink:

same the other end , and away you go :p

HI Blister

Thanks for the tip I wish I had thought of that it will make life a lot easier. :oops:

Hows Cruncher not heard from him for sometime, is he still enjoying the DVR?

john

Hi

Yes Cruncher is still turning out master pieces , I keep on at him to post them on here !!

But he is shy :oops:

always likes to be at the back in a crowd , even at club nights he wont show people how to do it , but he does do it as I can spend time with him turning :p

He has made a super off set turned clock , it blinding :shock:

will see if I can get him to post a photo of it
:?:

Back