Van recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossJarvis

Established Member
Reaction score
Due to too much time on my hands at the moment I am thinking through all those purchasing decisions I need to make over the next year or so.

Over the past few days I've really noticed that I either have too many tools or not enough van. This came to a head yesterday when it took me 15 minutes to find a nail punch. Not because I didn't know where it was but because that's how long it took me to unload and reload all the flippin' tools and boxes in there. (it was actually on top of the washing machine from where I'd washed it with my work trousers but I confirmed the other 7 were where they should be).

So, a Transit connect is too small and really I need something which'll also take 8' x 4' sheet material inside. What are the options, oh and cheap. Something probably about 10 yrs old or so.

I have a nv200
what a great van to drive and economic
but
cant get an 8 x 4 in it
so will watch with interest

Steve

Hi,

dont know how big a van you need, but can recommend the Renault Master. If you go on various websites you will hear horror stories about them, but in fairness you can do that on just about any van. Will be ordering a brand new one in January and this will be my 4th one so I think they are ok. My current one is a 2010 model so the latest shape and it is space age compared to my last one.
Unfortunately the secondhand price isn't that good, but good if you are buying and not trading it in.

Good luck in your search.

Mark.

Ps, will easily take a 8x4 sheet in fact 3.600 mm or 4.200 mm on the diagonal.

I used to drive one of the original Renault Masters, It was pretty quick but did seem a bit lightly constructed, I think they seemed beefier in the later models. Hadn't thought of these, thanks.

My Master is like a Tardis, my Kapex is set up in the back on a bench, I can walk in and stand up, tools are all sorted, 8*4 sheets slide in and not in the way, 4.2 lengths and up to 4.4 go in if they bend a bit, roof rack and frail for big stuff, also have a tipper trailer for a digger and stuff which it pulls without hesitation, and drives well with 6 speed gearbox.

Not sure about "cheap" paid 6K for mine 6 years ago, at 3 years old, with 38K on the clock, other than normal maintenance, it has never failed an MOT.

Have had other vans but this has been the best of them all.

HOJ":xnc7ind5 said:
My Master is like a Tardis, my Kapex is set up in the back on a bench, I can walk in and stand up, tools are all sorted, 8*4 sheets slide in and not in the way, 4.2 lengths and up to 4.4 go in if they bend a bit, roof rack and frail for big stuff, also have a tipper trailer for a digger and stuff which it pulls without hesitation, and drives well with 6 speed gearbox.

Not sure about "cheap" paid 6K for mine 6 years ago, at 3 years old, with 38K on the clock, other than normal maintenance, it has never failed an MOT.

Have had other vans but this has been the best of them all.

Cheers HOJ, that's two for the Renault then. Like the idea of "workshop inside".

The older Renaults had suspect electrics and there were a batch of dodgy gearbox issues at around 60 - 80k mileage so make sure that's been sorted. I'm sure the newer ones are OK but it was well known at the time.

If you can get hold of one my recommendation would be a VW transperter LWB which easily accommodates 8 x 4 sheets. Solid as a rock and reliable in my own experience. Problem you will have is that they hold their value well and won't be the cheapest option.

I had 2 of the T4s and a T5 with a Renault Trafic sandwiched in the middle and they were chalk and cheese. Renault, Nissan, Vauxhall are all the same van btw ( or were ).

Bob

Edit
Not sure about "cheap" paid 6K for mine 6 years ago, at 3 years old, with 38K on the clock,
As a comparison, I sold my 07 plate VW 16 months ago, (2.5 tdi, 180 bhp, LWB ) with 98k on the clock for £6500

New Renault Master LWB is my choice. Great value and terrific deals available. This is my second Renault Master, I had the short wheel base before. Very quiet, very economical, great alround and a lot cheaper that a VW. The prices if your buying rather than leasing when you shop around are lower for a new top of the range van than for a secondhand VW. Took delivery today. 4 years warranty and recovery included.

Another vote for the Vw transporter. Mine is the high roof long wheelbase version and will take 8 by 4 sheets 6 by 6 fence panels and 3.5mt lengths of anything and will still have a good resale value when I no longer need it.

Just had a little bit of a look at Renault Master Prices, and for something the same age as my current Transit Connect, the prices are similar to what I paid for that two years ago. Have van prices actually gone down lately? I actually paid £500 less than the asking price then which was about standard.

In fact there doesn't seem much of a difference in prices between the two now so if I'm canny with trade-in or selling privately I might be able to swap for less than a grand difference.

That's a hell of a lot of extra room for not a lot of cash. In fact the Connect really isn't all that big in the back but generally bigger than a lot of small vans.

If you're looking at a van 10 odd years old then your best bet would be a transit, French vans at that age will have lots of problems with electrics, Mercs & VW's will cost a fortune for spares at least with a transit second hand parts will be more available at reasonable costs than for other makes.

Don't get me wrong I'm not a Ford fan, I drive a transporter but at that age it's pointless going on new van recommendations, I've had French vans before & know of three where the dash pod has packed up before 10 years old & getting a working pod from a scrappy has been impossible. Old vans need more maintenance, the wise choice is a make with a plentiful supply of cheap spares.

Doug B":3k5qr91s said:
I've had French vans before & know of three where the dash pod has packed up before 10 years old & getting a working pod from a scrappy has been impossible. Old vans need more maintenance, the wise choice is a make with a plentiful supply of cheap spares.

Good point Doug, however the dash pod on my 10 year old Ford packed up too, luckily I did manage to fix it myself as it was a contact cleaning issue and not worse. Regarding price, last year the driveshaft gaiter had gone at the MOT, it cost me £29 incl p&p for a new driveshaft and it was easy swapping them over, rather than £100 for a new gaiter fitted. So a proper tranny is an option. I used to really like them but wasn't sure after they started fitting the fly-by-wire throttle.

Just to add my twopenneth,

Had a T reg SWB 1.9 Fiat ducato for 9 years that you could lay an 8' x 4' sheet in and did me proud, never letting me down but ended up scrapping when tin worm ate the majority of the steel work and making it uneconomic to repair but other than regular servicing never had to have any other big repairs. Bought with 35k on it and when scrapped was pushing 175K

Replaced that 6 years ago with a 55 plate SWB 2.0 front wheel drive Transit, had 80k on it when got it and was in immaculate condition, again other than servicing never let me down nor had any major mechanical issues during my ownership - Have just sold with nearly 180K to an Irish gentleman (You know the type) as again whilst mechanically sound the tin worm had eaten all the cills, rear spring hangers etc and I was looking at a large welding bill to get through the next MOT. Loved the transit, drove nicely and again could get an 8' x 4' sheet flat in the back of it.

My latest acquisition is a three year old LWB Renault Trafic 2.0 and it is fantastic - done 50k runs like a dream, aircon,eectric windows, contral looking bluetooth, you name it it has got it - doing about 45mpg on short journeys round here and being the LWB easily takes an 8'x4' sheet flat in the back and is actually about 9' long internally. Has a full service history and I bought this as they have galvanised panels etc so hoping Mr tin worm might not get its teeth into it.

Anyway in summary, three separate vans, none have let me down but they have all been well serviced and I have kept on top of the maintenance - Buy the best van you can afford and look after it, then it will look after you!

I have Connect which has been a great little van, and also a VW Crafter which is the medium wheel base one and is a great size, the lads set up the chopsaw stand in it if they are working somewhere and it is wet, and we can get a pretty large kitchen in it.

Parts for VW's are not that expensive this is a bit of a myth and if you get the VW van centre to fit them you get a 2 year parts and labour warranty as well.

I will replace the connect with a caddy sometime next year as I like VW's.

Having hired a lot of Transits while I was looking for my Crafter I am not a great fan of the last model of Transit, a VW feels like you are driving a car.

Dodge is right though, pay to get your van serviced at the correct mileage, and while you may think it will save you money by only doing the minimum, it will cost a lot more if you can't work when your van breaks big time because you have not been looking after it.

Do you actually have a budget for the new van? FWIW, I've not long replaced my 54 plate LWB Trafic which I sold for £2400 as I'd outgrown it. It had 156k on the clock and FSH, recent gearbox rebuild and timing belt done. The only issue, apart from the box (which hit 151k before the bearings started going) was the EGR valve clogging up (this WILL happen on ANY van). I simply turned it round in the port to block it off, job done.

I'd be wary of Transits of that age, the MK6 is a rot box, not much better than the MK3,4 or 5, and the higher spec models suffer with DMF problems.

The MK7 Transit is much better if you can stretch the budget. I would have ideally liked to buy a Master but the bank balance wouldn't allow it. I the end I picked up a one owner, fsh, T350 100 LWB, HR model for £5200 on an 11 plate with 76k on the clock. Even has extra deadlocks, tow bar, beacons and 62mph restrictor. Not my favourite van by any means but at the end of the day you have to cut your cloth to suit your pocket and it's a work tool, not my private car.

MMUK":2n93ndp9 said:
Do you actually have a budget for the new van? FWIW, I've not long replaced my 54 plate LWB Trafic which I sold for £2400 as I'd outgrown it. It had 156k on the clock and FSH, recent gearbox rebuild and timing belt done. The only issue, apart from the box (which hit 151k before the bearings started going) was the EGR valve clogging up (this WILL happen on ANY van). I simply turned it round in the port to block it off, job done.

I'd be wary of Transits of that age, the MK6 is a rot box, not much better than the MK3,4 or 5, and the higher spec models suffer with DMF problems.

The MK7 Transit is much better if you can stretch the budget. I would have ideally liked to buy a Master but the bank balance wouldn't allow it. I the end I picked up a one owner, fsh, T350 100 LWB, HR model for £5200 on an 11 plate with 76k on the clock. Even has extra deadlocks, tow bar, beacons and 62mph restrictor. Not my favourite van by any means but at the end of the day you have to cut your cloth to suit your pocket and it's a work tool, not my private car.

Cheers MMUK

Budget, BUDGET :shock: That's currently the major problem, I don't have a budget at the moment, but I do have a space issue. I'm starting to think about this now to see how much I need to put aside to be able to make a good decision down the line next year. Depending on whether I get enough work I would be looking at around the £4000 mark which limits choices and increases risk.

I don't want to borrow money and I really hate buying older second-hand vehicles, it's the sort of thing I can only think about when in a good mood. With the budget I'm likely to have I can see my self soldiering on in the Connect for a lot longer than I'd like :cry:

£4000 should get you something half decent. For instance, the place I bought my MK7 from recently had 10 plate MK7 LWB MR 140 Sport van, one owner, 90k, for £3795 +VAT. Part of me wishes I'd held on another couple of months to the Trafic as I could have gotten that van for around £3500 inc VAT. I do a lot of work for the garage owner as he's into renting as well - I look after him, he looks after me. The van I have now he had on the forecourt for £6795 +VAT, I paid £5200 + VAT.

MMUK":n9auws0x said:
£4000 should get you something half decent. For instance, the place I bought my MK7 from recently had 10 plate MK7 LWB MR 140 Sport van, one owner, 90k, for £3795 +VAT. Part of me wishes I'd held on another couple of months to the Trafic as I could have gotten that van for around £3500 inc VAT. I do a lot of work for the garage owner as he's into renting as well - I look after him, he looks after me. The van I have now he had on the forecourt for £6795 +VAT, I paid £5200 + VAT.

Hmm, Sport Van, I presume that requires a lot of strapping all the tools in the back down :wink:

Back