vacuum bag press/equipment

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well im very new to this so not an expert at all. East coast Fibreglass & Easy Composites both sell the Javac rotary vane or clones thereof. The Airtech pump is also a javac clone. The Javac are sold as being for continuous duty. One thing that i have learnt is that regular oil changes are essential for long pump life especially if using resins that give of fumes, Not such a problem for veneering but for GRP infusion this could be a real issue. Other thing i learnt with a carbon vane pump on a vacuum forming rig at college was to let it run unloaded for a little while once finished with to allow any water vapor to get blown through.
Will get some pics up as soon as i get the set up running.

Keith 66":2tpmh9cn said:
Well im very new to this so not an expert at all. East coast Fibreglass & Easy Composites both sell the Javac rotary vane or clones thereof. The Airtech pump is also a javac clone. The Javac are sold as being for continuous duty. One thing that i have learnt is that regular oil changes are essential for long pump life especially if using resins that give of fumes, Not such a problem for veneering but for GRP infusion this could be a real issue. Other thing i learnt with a carbon vane pump on a vacuum forming rig at college was to let it run unloaded for a little while once finished with to allow any water vapor to get blown through.
Will get some pics up as soon as i get the set up running.

yes look forward to seeing some photos of the set-up, it'll be interesting to see the tubes, valves and any gauges you've used, cheers

Not sure I understand the spec. There is no data on the cubic feet/min or litres/min pumping capacity, and the vacuum of 600mm Hg equates to about 800 millibars, or 0.8 atmospheres which would be completely inadequate. The East Coast one gets down to 0.005 atmospheres which is as near a vacuum as makes no difference. But maybe I'm misunderstanding the spec?

RogerM":ejny4mjs said:
Not sure I understand the spec. There is no data on the cubic feet/min or litres/min pumping capacity, and the vacuum of 600mm Hg equates to about 800 millibars, or 0.8 atmospheres which would be completely inadequate. The East Coast one gets down to 0.005 atmospheres which is as near a vacuum as makes no difference. But maybe I'm misunderstanding the spec?

yes its not so clear on the spec, here's what I can find

3.5 bar
50 psi
135 l per/min

I think 600mm hg equates to 0.08 ?? Its the dry running aspect of this pump which is drawing me to it, whether it's suitable is another thing !

m_dex1":2o5cobz9 said:
RogerM":2o5cobz9 said:

yes its not so clear on the spec, here's what I can find

3.5 bar
50 psi
135 l per/min

I think 600mm hg equates to 0.08 ?? Its the dry running aspect of this pump which is drawing me to it, whether it's suitable is another thing !

Not sure where you got the 3.5 bar from,or what it might relate to.Similarly the 50 psi.From my physics lessons long ago I can remember that 760mm Hg is about full vacuum.Why this pump's 600mm should be inadequate I don't know.If all you need is an application of force,it may well work.I would be more concerned about its ability to run continuously as it seems to be intended for evacuating air conditioning systems and would achieve this in seconds with its pumping rate.

If I bought something with this amount of uncertainty I certainly wouldn't allow the first job to be an important one and doubly so if I had no experience of vacuum bagging as a process.It may work-just be sure before sacrificing a job representing a lot of time and money.

Back