V/S or manual belt change?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Blackdog

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm mulling over this question as I am planning to upgrade my lathe.

I was all set to get a Nova 1624-42 (which seems ace value for money) when my 30 year old push bike looked at me and said "whatever you buy will be with you a very long time".

Once I got over the bicycle talking to me, I started to wonder if I am being foolish. I have decided not to get the Nova DVR as from my research problems can be costly.

The V/S front-runner is the Killinger KM1400 (which Phil Irons has started selling).

I have limited space so both the Killinger and Nova seem to fit the bill.

The Killinger seems pricey (£1700+ £300 for cast iron leg set) and is a bit of an unknown quantity. But it does have remote controls.

The Nova 1624 is closer to £1000, but it is 8 speed manual change and the cast iron leg set is an extra (the one it comes with is ok, but not the best).

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Steve

Blister":t29t7ghh said:
Some forum members have this lathe

http://www.axminster.co.uk/jet-jet-jwl- ... prod19845/

I have seen the Killinger at 2 shows and it looked good , not turned on one though

If you contact Phil Irons he has a demo lathe you may be able to book a test ride :p

I thought very seriously about the Jet and went to Axi to see it. But it is BIG! compared to the other two;)

I have the Nova 1624-44 with V/S which I added after a year.

It's a very good lathe as it is when you get one. But it's even better when you add V/S
It will cost about £350 to convert.

I I inserted an anchor bolt into the floor either end of the lathe and used two ratchet straps to
hold it down with great success. If you were going to add V/S upgrade to a 2/ 2 1/2 hp motor.

REgards Boysie

boysie39":1s4k4d5n said:
I have the Nova 1624-44 with V/S which I added after a year.

It's a very good lathe as it is when you get one. But it's even better when you add V/S
It will cost about £350 to convert.

I I inserted an anchor bolt into the floor either end of the lathe and used two ratchet straps to
hold it down with great success. If you were going to add V/S upgrade to a 2/ 2 1/2 hp motor.

REgards Boysie

Hi Eugene

So you'd go the same route again then? i.e. buy the manual nova and separately add the speed genie variable speed, and not get the cast iron legs?

Cheers

Steve

I bought my new lathe earlier this year and went for he Jet 1642 that Blister mentioned, which I am delighted with.

Whilst lathe choice is a personal thing based on lots of variables the one thing I would heartily recommend is to have a variable speed. It is the thing which makes the huge difference.

If you are happy with your choices, no problem. If you wanted to test drive the Jet you would be welcome to come over.

Steve yes i would ,you then have exactley what you would be paying £1600+ for.

You can also come and test drive mine.

As you know Steve I have recently bought the Killinger and compared to the Nova (v/s or not, both of which I looked at) it is far better made, rock solid on the cast-iron legstand and a real pleasure to use. It is a very similar spec to the VL175 but with a shorter bed, all the Vicmarc toolrests and chucks will fit too.

It will also take the Vicmarc VL175 Outboard Turning rest (I have adapted one to fit mine) and still has a nice compact footprint.

Whatever you get, variable speed would be at the top of my list as you can fine tune the speed for out of balance items, slow it down or reverse it for sanding, all with the twist of a knob.

Along with V/S would be a swivelling head.

If you are anywhere near Herts you are welcome to come and try mine out, or if nearer Stratford then go see Phil Irons.

Well chaps,

I finally opted for the nova 1624. The deal was too good to pass on. The Killinger is lovely but I can't justify the extra money.

Time will tell but right now I am pleased with my decision. If I want v/s in the future I can always upgrade or sell it:)

All the best

Steve

I have a Nova 1624 also and I believe you will really like it. Changing the speed by belt is quick but I usually only change speeds twice (at most) for bowls and only once for spindles.
I also use the swivel head on most projects and it makes it a pleasure.
Mike

I agree with Mike, I also use the swivel head all the time. except when the tailstock is needed.

Saves the old back quite a lot, I will try to take a picture of the way I have anchored mine to the floor
but dont hold your breath as me and the posting of same are just coming to terms after 4 yrs. of trying.
REgards Boysie

Well, my new nova turned up this morning. Roll on the weekend when I can put her together and fire her up.

Can't wait!

Cheers
Steve

Steve Blackdog":vjjenbhb said:
Well, my new nova turned up this morning. Roll on the weekend when I can put her together and fire her up.

Can't wait!

Cheers
Steve

Steve

The WEEKEND :shock:

If it was mine , I could feel a sicky coming on :lol: :p :mrgreen:

Dont forget we like photos of new lathes :wink:

Back