Using Full sheet ply for new door

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marsaday

Reaction score
Can i get some advise / help on what i should be doing for my door into a cupboard area.

I have just done my own extension on the back of the house and i am now fitting the floors and skirting and need to make a new door frame and door for the cupboard which holds the washing machine.

Hopefully the photo will load and show what i intend on doing.

I was thinking about a full 8x4 sheet of birch ply 18mm and just splitting it in 2. The door height would be 2.4m and width 1.2m (600mm each door).

I have 2 decent sized joists in the photo which i plan on using as my frame and all i need to do is provide the head in the same sized joist. Above the door i would probably just make a light frame to take some plaster board and skim and paint white.

Would you need to create a base piece of wood to help hold the doors in place (top and bottom using magnets), or could the bottom be totally open ?

Attachments

• IMG_2735.jpg
    IMG_2735.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 168
Ok, so the idea of a sanded sheet of birch ply is ok then ?

What is a good clip to use at the top then ? I have used basic magnets before, but these will be better if i use something a bit stronger.

Any ideas ?

You could go for a number of concealed hinges (kitchen cabinet hinges) or simple crocodile clips.

My personal preference are ‘veel 2 magnets’ found at ironmongery direct. Very strong great fit and look.

Might want to consider splitting it lengthways top to bottom so you have 2 doors instead of 1 massive one - for weight reasons on the hinges and assuming you are hanging it on the window wall it won't go flat because of the exterior cill so access is reduced a bit - a flat sheet of ply will also be more flexible than you might imagine so a frame on the back to help reduce this would be my plan were I doing it - just round the inside edges and a diagonal brace for each one - using actual wood not more strips of ply.

Although TBH if it were I, I'd consider 2 sets of bifold - not that hard to make if you're a bit handy (and have a router), just make sure to remember to rebate a lap joint down the centre of the doors (no ugly gap) and where the 2 doors meet. There are bifold kits with bearings and rollers you can buy that work really well and are a far cry from the old "stuck at the top or bottom, shuddering nonsense" of the 70's.

Last year I made one from a door the customer bought that had to be then altered into a bifold - which was a good learning experience.

On a different note I REALLY like how you've left the outside face of the house au naturel instead of plasterboarding it over and taking out the windows - a really lovely quirky feature considering the trend these days.

Back