Using a squaring rod

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Niki, I made one of the Maskery gadgets. The very very expensive piece of machinery is a chisel to pare the ends so they are the same length. If you want to spend more, you could use a mitre trimmer.

Hi Guys
Here's the sketch I was going to include.
squaring-door.gif

Nibbo, we were talking about rectangles were'nt we?
How will the other gizmo help if you've dropped a clanger and got one side short?

Cheers
Bill

billbeee":2l433j95 said:
Nibbo, we were talking about rectangles were'nt we?
How will the other gizmo help if you've dropped a clanger and got one side short?

Cheers
Bill

At least two angles will be confirmed to be 90deg, the other two would read as one with + 90deg and the other - 90deg. with a rod or gauge you wont know which of the four angles is right and which is wrong.

Roy
I made 3 of them and failed. I think that maybe the holes for the hinge were not dead center...but, I have very accurate and big triangles :)

I think that what Lord Nibbo means is something like in the drawing below, the diagonals are the same length but....

Diagonals.jpg

Niki
I'm very surprised that you had trouble with the square. It's not sophisticated but very simple and mathematically spot on. It's to do with the corners of a triangle always making 180 degrees. All the matters is that the points line up exactly at both ends, that's all.

It's all to do with the Rule of Thales, the first known philosopher, from when god was a boy, and I really don't know how you could have problems. I do urge you to have another go, its a great tool, and you really do not need fancy machinery. I've used it just today to check a corner that I couldn't get a try-square into because of clamps being in the way.

Cheers
Steve

Thank you so much Steve

Oki-Doki, I'll try it again soon and I hope that I shall have good news... :)

Regards
niki

Steve Maskery":3ed4mcnw said:
It's to do with the corners of a triangle always making 180 degrees.

[picky mode]Actually it's more to do with the angle in a semi-circle always being 90 deg.[/picky mode] :)

Nick W":3rl7pfqn said:
[picky mode]Actually it's more to do with the angle in a semi-circle always being 90 deg.[/picky mode] :)

Well yes, but they are one and the same thing! (Very picky indeed!)

There is one triangle (pivot, short arm, member1, pivot) which equals 180.

There is another triangle (pivot, short arm, member2, pivot) which equals 180.

Together they equal 360.
BUT, triangle 1 is isosceles so two angles are the same, and
triangle 2 is isosceles so two angles are the same, and
the angle at the pivot is 180 (straight line) which accounts for half of the 360

Therefore, the two tri1s plus the two tri2s equal the other 180. therefore one tri1 plus one tri2 equals 90, which is precisely what we have at the corner.

Cheers
Steve

Hi Niki, to help you make it and I think Steve will agree, start with making the short pointer first then bolt that to a length that is longer both ends than the short pointer. Now using the short pointer trace/mark its outline on both ends of the longer piece, now where you have marked cut off and sand to match the short pointer. Thats it, easy. :wink:

Lord

I made it exactly as you described...and for some reason, failed 3 times :oops:

I think that both holes, on the short and long parts must be at the dead center of the width....when you draw a line, the width of the pencil is same like the width of the levers but when it is say (I'm exaggerating), 50mm wide lever, if the hole on one or both levers will not be at the dead center, you will get a mistake...I think...

But let's try tomorrow..

niki

Hi Steve

I have a few very accurate triangles (you can see them in my various posts and especially on the "Triangle - Copy and Past" post.

I put the triangle on the workbench and clamp on both sides (of the 90°) fences (straight edge or even straight boards) and checked....

niki

Hi Steve

As I promised, I made it again and this time it was a success.

Thank you for the idea and for encouraging me to try it again

Best Regards
niki

001-3.jpg

006-4.jpg

007-3.jpg

008-2.jpg

niki

Do you know why this one worked and the previous three didn't?
Was it the centring of the pivot?

Cheers

Jeremy

Niki, considering all the wonderful things you come up with
i thought this would have been the easiest thing
for you to make. :shock: Let's just say you were having a bad day. :lol:
I'm worried about trying it myself now. :? :lol:

Thank you

Jeremy
Welcome to the forum
I think that it was because of un-centered pivot, but, I'm not sure

Kevin
Lets say that I had a few bad days :lol: ...I made it 3 times without success :oops:

Regards
niki

Back