Using a router to make a sphere?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swellkid

Reaction score
My next project is going to be a telescope. I was going to make a simple box dobsonian but then I saw the example below.

Apparently he made that spherical base with a router and a jig. I'd love to know how. Would anyone be kind enough to describe the process in detail? I'm not too au fait with my powertools. (The only one I own is a drill!)

He's cut a bunch of hoops (you can see from the photo of the inside) presumably using a jig like this:

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip102000sn.html

Calculating how big you need each of the hoops would be a bit of work but probably not too hard. Then a case of gluing them together.

Getting the outside smooth is the hardest bit to think about. you could probably come close just with a powered sander and a lot of effort. To get a proper curve you're either looking at putting a frame inside the base so you can pivot it around a fixed point or else making a semi-circular track for a router.

Thanks for the book recommendation -- I've put an order through Amazon.

Short attention span that I have, I'm already considering a different design! I like the idea of the carbon fibre pipe model (elsewhere in the photo set).

Back