used table saw - which one?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ciscoeuk

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all

this subjct has proberly been covered

i am looking into buying a used table saw, so i can used dado cutters, can't afford new as i have seen on here there recomendation is norms saw xcaliber, i will get one eventually!!!!

i was looking at a startrite, wadkin (315v or 240v) or simular, i even thorght of a 2hp ryobi or 10" portable saw something cheap for £150

so i can mod the saw and add and extenable rip fence like the besismeyer

i would like to know about peoples thorghts & experience with different saws and if they have used them with dados cutter????

thanks

I have been wondering, up until now.

Any relation?

Troll.jpg

Not that i'd want to loose you as a member, but you might get better information about old saws and dado blades on the other forum

http://trevera25.proboards85.com/index.cgi

They have a resident font of knowledge on all old machinery

FWIW Dado blades are a hot topic and, honestly, although I am not against dado blades personally, I really don't think you should be using one.

If you aren't trolling, then go and read the 1613 results on the 108 pages of search results for 'dado' - the info you need will be in there, and if it isn't, at least you'll have a clue about what else you need to know.

i have looked and a couple of posts

one had very vairied opinions, the other harp on about saftey, for which i have read the whole post, i am old school taught, saftey first, think twice then act,

i have used dado cutters on a dewalt when i trained,

but no one could give a real opinion on which was the best saw,

looking for people who has startrite or wakin and others saw who have used dado cutters, weahter or not they can be used on a cheaper end or u have to go striaght to the excaliber or unisaw

sip 10" & 12 came close to what i want but space is restricted to 19'x 9' workshop and need to be mobile

i have a lot of doors and draws to make i can cut down on time by using the dado cutter over a router

ciscoeuk":21pmx5f2 said:
wizer":21pmx5f2 said:
Not that i'd want to loose you as a member,

err you going to kick me off???

Did you even read my post? Or the bit you quoted?

I couldn't make much sense of your last post but I think you're asking if you should go for an old saw or a new one. Well if you must use a Dado blade then there are just 2 saws that I know of being sold in the UK. They are Xcalibur and DEFT. If you want to go for an old saw then refer to my post above.

For what its worth,I dont think you will buy a new T/S that comes under European legislation that will accomodate a stacked dado set as they have their arbours cut down so they only take a single blade.
But I guess you probably already knew that? Taxi for Chippyjoe!!!

Chippyjoe":3t441nfq said:
For what its worth,I dont think you will buy a new T/S that comes under European legislation that will accomodate a stacked dado set as they have their arbours cut down so they only take a single blade.
But I guess you probably already knew that? Taxi for Chippyjoe!!!

i understood that, if i do get a t/s where the arbour is cut down i will have to modify it, just nee to find a website that has pics and detailed discription

just wondering which t/s to buy? that does not need modding off ebay

cheers chippy

thanks

Did you even read my post? Or the bit you quoted?

I couldn't make much sense of your last post but I think you're asking if you should go for an old saw or a new one. Well if you must use a Dado blade then there are just 2 saws that I know of being sold in the UK. They are Xcalibur and DEFT. If you want to go for an old saw then refer to my post above.

sorry but i a little dyslexic and did not read the post properly

been to link could fine advice on old table saws

OK. I have an old Wadkin TS and I also have a Freud stacked dado set that I use from time to time.

ts%20003.jpg

The Wadkin was actually designed to be used with dado cutters and moulding heads, though I have no experience of the latter.

So what can I say apart from they work just as I expect (having first seen them on New Yankee Workshop). Being heavier than the standard blade they take longer to run down when switched off than when just using the standard blade. My machine with the standard blade takes about 7 seconds to run down and 14 seconds with the full stacked dado installed. The other difference is the noise it makes - more of a roar with the dado set.

You will find from other threads lots of information about safety and danger when using dado sets. The only thing to bear in mind is the danger of using a dado set with a braked saw as there is the possibility the inertia of the blade may loosen the arbor locking nut.

Misterfish

thanks misterfish thats very usefull and nice to see photos

and a small workshop nice how big?

in your photo of you wadkin what model?, because this it the type i am lookng for, or very simular,

i presume yours is 3 phase ? with a converter or 240v conversion?

i own a set of freud dado cutters 30mm, so i am looking to swap my jet 315 panel saw, as i unsure weather or no they can take a dado set

anyway the jet 315 has its limitations, i can't do tenons properly or cut rebate or dados without stuggling and theres the saftey aspect, great for cutting down sheet and stock

i will be selling this soon once i have a replacment! for now i need to refit workshop

anyone else got any info on wadkin or startrite use or even use on a clarke saw style or bocsh portable?

Hi, the only new saw that takes dado cutters i've seen is the felder 500 series which you'll pay about £400 for upgrade saws start about £2,600 for the basic model
:twisted:

Once again I'm puzzled. IF I understand the legal-ease correctly, EU Regs permit saw blades up to 16mm wide. How do you manage that without a Dado head?

Roy.

My Deft saw takes a dado and cost £650 new (I sent the bloke who sells them a cheeky e-mail asking if he'd part with one for that much and he was fine about it). Might be worth a look, I think mine's a T30 (silver top) it's a great saw, very solid and well thought out.

fatthumb":ow9a4mf5 said:
My Deft saw takes a dado and cost £650 new (I sent the bloke who sells them a cheeky e-mail asking if he'd part with one for that much and he was fine about it). Might be worth a look, I think mine's a T30 (silver top) it's a great saw, very solid and well thought out.

thanks i take a look and try a deal, nice looking saws, i goin to send for brochure, if they have one?

cheers mate

Back