Used Pillar Drill - Startrite v Fobco v Meddings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Selsdon_PJS

Established Member
Reaction score
Having read plenty of advice on here I am looking to buy a used British-made pillar drill for my home workshop.

What I'd really like is some general advice on what I could expect between the three that I've seen most referred to, namely the Startrite Mercury, Fobco Star and Meddings (not sure of name). I know they will all be heavy and may need a bit of work to tidy up but what are the key positives and negatives of each? For instance: noise, known issues, availability of spares, ease of home repairs etc.

I've never owned one of these but understand it would generally be a better use of my hard-earned than buying a modern Chinese made model.

Thanks

I have a Fobco, bench mount size on a floor stand... love it! (even though its tried to kill me a couple of times...) you cant take any short cuts, everything has to be clamped, spoil board under etc. but apart from being picky about keeping your fingers attached, its been great. The other makers you mention are not shabby either but depends so much on the care the individual pillar drill has received.

to the other questions; very very quiet, none that I am aware of, never heard a bad word about them, not needed any spares, looks easy to fix if required.

Fobco also made a version of the bench drill for 'light milling'! Depends on what you're looking to do with it, but that might be a useful feature too?

I have a Startrite Mercury floor standing. They come in bench and floor standing and also there is a variant with a gearbox. Mine does not have this just a simple pulley change. Happy with mine and its always been solid. Don't know about the spares situation but there is not much to go wrong. I guess the most important point and this would be the same for all the drills is any play in the quill. When checking out a drill press extend the quill fully, take hold of the chuck and see if there is any side play. There is none in mine. It has a nice keyed Jacobs chuck on a Jacobs taper so could be replaced with a keyless if required.

The only thing I find that maybe I would change is the table moves up and down a round column so can move side to side (i.e. not on a rack and pinion) but that has advantages as well as disadvantages.

As for weight, they are quite heavy but nothing one person can't move and fitted into my estate car. Paid £50 for mine on the bay (no picture) was a bargain and even at £200 I would not have been disappointed. My other drill, a cheap Screwfix radial drill has loads of play in the quill and only gets used with a sanding drum.

I paid £120 inc. a vice for my Meddings - it's a brilliant tool, despite its (at least) 55yrs. I gather one reason for the tables not being fitted with any sort of any tilt or rise and fall mechanism is that it was deemed better that the default was dead square to the column. If anyone wished to drill on an angle they could hold the workpiece at an angle. It does make some sort of sense.

phil.p":ta2pf1on said:
I paid £120 inc. a vice for my Meddings - it's a brilliant tool, despite its (at least) 55yrs. I gather one reason for the tables not being fitted with any sort of any tilt or rise and fall mechanism is that it was deemed better that the default was dead square to the column. If anyone wished to drill on an angle they could hold the workpiece at an angle. It does make some sort of sense.

I have to admit that I do prefer, where possible, to leave a tool set at bang on 90, and use jigs and fixtures.

phil.p":1666pbct said:
snip...

I gather one reason for the tables not being fitted with any sort of any tilt or rise and fall mechanism

snip..

You've got me wondering now... :) I've got a rise and fall 'thing' on the side of mine... (hand wheel in the vertical axis rotating an Acme thread kind of thing), moves the whole of the top part of the drill up and down the main shaft... I didn't think it was the milling model, but now you mention it, I've not seen this sort of thing on any others..

+1 on checking the lateral play on the spindle bearings, but even if they are shot, changing them out doesn't look difficult. changing the motor likewise.. Apart from the spindle bearings, (grease nipples are a distinct plus there,) or the motor dying, I cant see that theres too much else to go wrong with any of the ones you mention, individual condition should be considered.

One of the reasons I went for mine was that there were no drill marks in the table, I figured that if the previous owner had been careful enough to look after the table, he'd probably looked after the rest of it too. Good examples still command big money but bargains can still be found.

I'm interested in trying to pick one up too and I've seen these manufacturers mentioned before but no model numbers/names. Are there only one or two models flying about or are there ones we should try and find and perhaps some to avoid? What models do people have who've posted already?

I think they all have the same thing in common built up to a standard not down to a price.

All three are substantial, solid and will drill holes (accurately) long after we are all dead and gone. As I undertand it there is little to choose between them and if you get a wrong un then that will be down to abuse not poor engineering.

I have a Fobco Star Bench Model and it is a joy to use. Not a joy to lift, took two people to lift it into the back of my estate car, it weighs every one of it's 148lbs. F.O'Brian of Swadlincote spent 40 years making just two models The Star and the 7-Eight, not a bad recommendation of their quality.

Mine was dead on accurate from the get-go and the only thing I did was pop on a single phase motor and an NVR Switch. Best £150 I have spent in a long time.

Whichever one you can find at the right price and local enough to collect I say go for it.

I've a Statrite Mercury 5, very robust drill with no issues. When I bought it it was missing some bits which I bought from the official Startite dealer of old machine spare parts, machinespares. I went to the premises and wanting contempary parts (mains switch) they let me devel into their old machines pile where I removed a switch from a scrap drill. Very reasonably priced and excellent service.

If you need to remove the quill, getting the aluminium pulley off is a complete pain. I removed mine to give it a thorough service.

Bullet proof manufacture, and will last many life times.

I have just bought an old Meddings of the bay in a moment of madness. When it arrives I will post my comparison of the two side by side.

Thanks so far, comments have been much appreciated.

The Startrite Mercury I was tracking on eBay disappeared earlier - "listing ended", which was annoying as price and location were favourable.

I have to say that my preference is for the Fobco, it looks a bit easier on the eye.

The search continues.

Higon":q3bk4y8g said:
phil.p":q3bk4y8g said:
snip..

You might find an abused Meddings, but you won't find a bad one.

..snip

I like that, very true. :)

This is indeed true but unfortunately the abuse can get very nasty

photo_zps9b78f9c8.jpg

Meddings 3 phase motor, when found had been wired direct to single phase

Found this recent thread, very handy - have just got a Mercury fairly locally. Very happy with it so far. Has a Jacobs keyed chuck on it, and I've read about a custom Jacobs taper (?) It looks on the manual (online ALT Saws have one) that the chuck will be female taper - I would like to fit a good keyless some time, does anyone know what I need to look for? (fit/taper I mean).

My Mercury has a J33 tqper on it. It is marked on the chuck itself so take a look at this. You are right the chuck itself has a female taper so you need a chuck with a J33 taper (assuming that is what yours is). Something like these http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Chucks/Drill-Chucks#Keyless-Drill-Chucks

Only issue is you need to get the chuck off the taper. Mine comes off fairly easily if I tap it on the side and it is just pushed on.

Excellent Porker, thanks. There are various numbers etc on the chuck so that should do it. I read somewhere that the lower of the 2 collars just above chuck is used to remove the chuck. I guess turn to lower collar and use a drift/wedge to tap the chuck off... just a guess at this stage as this is a new toy. Quite a clean shiny one too in its resplendent green (death green I call it, have a small Startrite collection coming together :D )

I wanted to resurrect this thread because I'm actively looking for a drill at the moment. One of the points I'm still confused about is price as the one's I'm seeing sell on eBay are going for a lot more than the GBP120-150 quotes on here. How long ago did you guys spend <150 on the drills?

For example, this Meddings Driltru sold for 400 a day or so after it was posted. I've spoken to the seller and he has another at the same price but I just wanted to check what a realistic price might be in the current climate. Has anyone bought one in the last year and found the prices rising and the sales ending quickly?

Thanks.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pillar-Drill- ... true&rt=nc

I paid £113 for my Fobco Star just over a week ago. I've been looking for a while and set up an eBay search with a mileage I was prepared to travel in order to collect it. To be honest I would have probably stretched it and called it a day out if a bit further away but would have drawn the line at "weekend away" distance!

But I need to do some refurb on it so will be spending more cash & time until it is proper working condition. I was tempted to go for a Chinese mass-produced model but resisted. I'd probably pay a max £250 for one that was in very good working order and clean etc.

Hope that helps.

I looked on ebay for a decent drill for a while and it seemed that they were a bit like busses - nothing for a while then a sudden short term glut. I i eventually ended up with a Fobco Star single phase benchtop mahine only about 40 minutes drive from me. I was lucky as it was a 'glut of drills' time and nobody else bid on it so I got it for the starting price of £50.

I wonder if those that have them to sell have a quick look to see the going price so once one is listed others follow suit.

Misterfish

Back