Used Pillar Drill - Startrite v Fobco v Meddings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Patience is the key and being willing to put in the miles.

My Star was a 6month wait and a 70mile round trip my Startrite 352 took me from N'hampton to the otherwise of Scarborough.

Once you appreciate the sense in buying this type of machine you won't mind the waiting or the travelling.

I agree sj - I had been looking for a month or so, my list was Meddings, Fobco or Startrite. Distance is a bit of an issue but generally it seems to me a baseline for complete, and in good condition is £200. A nice fobco went at about 206, a meddings at 280. I found a Startrite fairly locally on Gumtree and got it for £180 - it's a cracker though, v clean and sound so I'm more than happy. In the end I paid to get a good one locally and now (patience not a big strength). And I'd rather pay and use than save and fettle.
I do wonder about this going price issue - when I'm looking I suspect the prices go up - a few years ago had the same with an Inca 260 bsaw. The going price seemed higher than what everyone here seemed to pay :shock: :?: :wink:

p.s. totally agree with Richard above too. The patience bit lets me down a little but I went to Huddersfield for my 352, Derby for my Myford. These machines don't go down in value so worth the market price and a few miles.

So I managed to get lucky this evening and picked up a couple of Star's from a chap trying to clear out his collection near Nuneaton. I was going to be driving past on my way back to Cambridge so stopped by. I was a bit too excited and walked away with two drills instead of one with the aim of possibly using one while I refurb the other. However, in my rush I've picked up one of the drills that has the extended spindle. I can't work out which versions of the 5 listed on lathes.co.uk that I've bought. They both seem to have 34 Jacobs chuck on the end. Anyone have any idea?

Perhaps I'll start another thread about how to refurbish them.

Thanks.

Attachments

• FZ1A8869.jpg
    FZ1A8869.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 3,148
  • FZ1A8872.jpg
    FZ1A8872.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 3,148
  • FZ1A8874.jpg
    FZ1A8874.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 3,146
  • FZ1A8875.jpg
    FZ1A8875.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 3,147
  • FZ1A8876.jpg
    FZ1A8876.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 3,147
struck gold there I think, original paint and looking very good. I love the shape of the belt cover and the nameplate graphics!! Brilliant find indeed.

sjalloq":2c9l2jcq said:
I wanted to resurrect this thread because I'm actively looking for a drill at the moment. One of the points I'm still confused about is price as the one's I'm seeing sell on eBay are going for a lot more than the GBP120-150 quotes on here. How long ago did you guys spend <150 on the drills?

For example, this Meddings Driltru sold for 400 a day or so after it was posted. I've spoken to the seller and he has another at the same price but I just wanted to check what a realistic price might be in the current climate. Has anyone bought one in the last year and found the prices rising and the sales ending quickly?

A while back I tried to get one of these old drills but having travelled to see two which, despite being advertised as in good condition, turned out to need loads of work. Got fed up with wasting money (every 20 miles from home adds 6 quid to the price for petrol alone) so bought a new Taiwanese, delivered and install for free (far too heavy for one to manage), infinitely variable speeds at pull of lever, 5/8" chuck, 80 mm travel - does the job.

Hi there

I have an old 3phase meddings with a similar bed as tge above chap; dead square but not the easiest thing to move. I also prefer that.

My advice when you go to see one:

1 Draw the drill all the way down, grab the chuck and see if there is any play.

2 Check the bed for square.

3 Try and give the motor a look/sniff.

Good luck a good drill will do you proud.

Does anyone know if I got a 3 phase model and bought an inverter if they run on 240v 13amp ? or will I need a 16amp supply ? been looking at inverters online but if anyone has a recommendation I'd appreciate it :)

For a drill, it's normally just as cheap or cheaper to buy a single phase motor as it is to buy an inverter. You need to check the rating of the on off switch in the drill as a single phase motor draws more current. Normally though, especially if the manufacturer offered a single phase option the switch is rated for both options.

The advantage of an inverter us that you get variable speed, the option to jog, and reverse as well as overload shut down. Look for an inverter that is compatible with MCBs such as those offered by ABB. No affiliation.

Just wanted to reply here and post a picture of one of my completed drills. It has taken a lot longer than I thought it would and has been a royal pain the backside. This was my first renovation job so I've learnt a lot but perhaps bit off more than I could chew. Still, they look great and I'm looking forward to using one of them now. The other, shown in the pic below, will be off to a new home once I put it up on eBay. I'm just waiting for some crimp terminals so I can sort the earthing on the casting.

I'll put up a more detailed post about all the work involved once I have some more pictures but the summary is: Stripped, degreased, sand blasted, repainted, new bearings throughout, black oxided fittings and reassembled.

Cheers.

Attachments

• _DSF3186.jpg
    _DSF3186.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 1,160
What about selling it to a forum member? There is a chap on another thread asking advise on a a modern drill, yours would be far better than anything he could buy new.

Thanks deema, that's a good point. I'll offer it up here first once I have taken some more pics.

Back