USB ports playing up

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizard

Established Member
Reaction score
USB ports playing up have to keep pulling things in and out to get them working, this happens dozens of times a day, is it a software prob lem or a new computer :(

In my experience it's normally a software problem.
Can't remember if an Operating System (you didn't say which) repair will cure it or whether it requires a complete re-install.
Don't forget to back up all your documents etc if you go for the full re-install. :)

Edit: Memory failure - mine, not the PCs. :)

Unplug all USB devices then follow Samhrutha G's reply in this link
- https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... b09e309ea1

Not that this is of much use to you, but I have similar with Windows 7 on a Toshiba laptop. I have to have the OS fully up and then plug the USB in to get it to work. Sometimes it can take up to 2 minutes for the device to be seen. I haven't bothered to investigate a fix as a)the system is French and I only have restore disks b) it's Linux dual boot and I use that 98% of the time.

Is it an old PC? if it is could be the PSU playing up, the USB uses a 5V supply that is on all the time the Pc is plugged in.
We had a few problems in the past with old PCs mouse working intermittently was the first symptom then dead pc.

Pete

Eric The Viking":2bhpwenv said:
Been using XP since the betas - never knew about that one!

Mmmm..wonder if there is something similar for the Mac as my USB ports also sometimes play-up in that the Mac won't see the keyboard on start-up sometimes and I have to plug/replug in different ports at the back of the Mac.

I've had them making poor physical connections: I use card adaptors for photography and moving data about, and they can be a bit iffy as it's too easy to push them in clumsily, out of line. Also, they rely on physical pressure in the socket to keep the plug in proper contact. I've had to open stuff up and apply a small screwdriver, to bend the spring back into shape.

The standard USB is not a nice connector - was fine years ago, but like so many things it's been cheapened to save money in manufacture, and some designs are just too cheap.

A good workaround is NOT to keep inserting/removing at the computer, but to use a short male-female USB extension cable. Plug/unplug from that instead, so the cable socket gets the wear rather than the expensive-to-fix one on the machine itself.

It's entirely possible that's the issue - if the physical connection is marginal, temperature can affect it: startup = cold, in use = warm.

But then again it may be something else entirely...

Fed up with it so been to PC world to sort out the problem, new computer. Talked to them about what happens if it goes wrong in the first year. Answer if it packs up in the first month they sort it out, after that i would have to send it back to HP, I said what about my consumer rights and the man said they are thing of the past and its between me and HP however if i take out there extended warranty for three years it will be covered by them for everything even if it’s my fault.

He's talking rubbish - consumer rights are far from a thing of the past!
Do a Google search.
Extended guarantees are usually rip-offs. The retailer often makes more out of them than the goods.
For extra protection pay with a credit card.
If goods are faulty it's the retailer you have a first claim on not the manufacturer.

yes with a small shop but with these big shops they just tell you to clear off and if like me you have a go at them they just call the police

wizard":2cux9vot said:
Just told them i would not leave the shop (carphone warehouse) that i would not leave the shop until they sorted out my phone

You didn't set up a tent in the shop, did you?

:D

Latest posts

Back