USA CORDLESS TOOLS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andycorleone

Established Member
Reaction score
I almost sure that I'm not going to have a problem but for peace of minf let me ask:
If I buy a Brand New 18V cordless Dewalt Drill in America with a Pair batteries. and only buying here in the UK a 240V 1Hour Charger, it should work 100% fine with out problems Right?

Hi Andy

You will be fine, I bought my Panasonic cordless stuff in the US and use a UK charger with no issues at all. The Battery is the same UK-US

The other bonus is that if you work on site you can put a yellow plug on the US charger and it will run on site 110v power.

I looked at importing some Makita li-ion stuff but bought it here in the end didn't want the hassle. I suppose if I had to go to the US then it would be worth going shopping while there.

I bought a porter cable cordless circular saw off ebay recently with no charger, got one sent from the US for really cheap and it has worked great plugged into a transformer.
jon.

I have bought a few things with varying success, chances are you can kiss goodbye to any warranty, :cry: they should be international but don't hold your breath. savings can be huge but often the cost of freight can be more than the tool and they are not bound to be the same spec so be carefull. :? Vat is likely to be charged by the shipping company when it lands here so watch that too.
of course if you still want to do it. I bought a dewalt Laser delivered and taxes paid for £200, Screwfix price for the same one £309. delivered within 4 DAYS :shock:
Well worth the chance I thought 8)

A definition of the need for CE marking from another site:

CE stands for Conformité Européenne, which is French for "European Conformity." A product in one of the controlled product categories cannot legally be sold in the EU unless it has passed the tests to receive the CE marking.

For a company trying to sell a product, getting a CE marking makes things much easier because it means you can sell the product anywhere in the EU.

In the United States, electronic device manufacturers need to meet the same sort of requirements to get FCC approval.

And, as discussed in another thread here, the 'conformity' is a bit of a minefield! :?

Dave.

Back