Uptuning wooden plane !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gizz

Reaction score
Hello ,
I'm the new guy.
Several years ago I started to take an interest in traditional woodworking and offcourse in traditionel woodworking tools.
I began buying secondhand tools at the internet for uptuning for personel use .
Lately, I've bought this plane and, as you can see, on the backside, the iron or steel punch-button is missing.
My question is:
can somebody please, give me some advice in how to replace this?
Thank you very much!
Sincerely Gizz

Attachments

• P1000135-400.jpg
    P1000135-400.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 953

In the absence of a strke button, most small wooden planes with parallel irons are adjusted with a tap with a mallet either on the toe (front end) to advance the iron, or the heel (back end) to withdraw the iron.
(If the iron is a single tapered blade, you only need to tap the heel to withdraw - otherwise drive the iron forward to relaease it through the mouth).

If the plane intentionally has a strike button and it is missing, then it is a case of getting one turned exactly to size on a lathe or use a mallet for adjustment.
Generally the buttons are made of a hard wood - usually Box and secured with glue.
If you need a metal one, Brass is a good option and fix it in place with epoxy resin.

Hope that I've interpreted your query correctly.

Hello Argus ,

Thank you for your good advice . Il seems to me , using a hard wooden button is a very good alternative to solve my problem.
I've added another picture of this plane .

Thanks

Gizz

Attachments

• P1000146-400.jpg
    P1000146-400.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 843
Gizz":3j9ard0k said:
Hello Argus ,

Thank you for your good advice . Il seems to me , using a hard wooden button is a very good alternative to solve my problem.
I've added another picture of this plane .

Thanks

Gizz

I think the tradition for Continental European planes is a metal stroke button;

159501d1295745663-german-jack-planes-lots-them-german_jack2_b.jpg

BugBear

A metal striking button is only found in newer, manufactured planes and very scarcely on older or user made planes. Judging the hole on the heel of the plane it has definitely had a wooden striking button. The metal ones are just carriage bolts with a narrow shank.

I did not find a very good picture, but at least you can see a striking button on the foremost plane on the bench

kunnostus9.jpg

Pekka

Pekka Huhta":1btdhkrz said:
A metal striking button is only found in newer, manufactured planes and very scarcely on older or user made planes.

Thank you for that wider context.

BugBear

It was the shape of the hole that suggested a wooden button to me.

Incidentally, Gizz, that type of plane with the front hornwas known as a "Bismark" in this cuntry in the old days .....
according to my Grandad.

Argus":39ytlefr said:
Incidentally, Gizz, that type of plane with the front hornwas known as a "Bismark" in this cuntry in the old days .....
according to my Grandad.

That's an "all herring are fish" kind of deal. On the continent, most planes have that horn.

But in the UK, the only continental planes imported and used in any numbers were scrubs/coarse jacks. It's this plane (a horned scrub) that was known as a Bismark.

BugBear (quoting Salaman from memory)

Back