upgrading insert on rutlands xact deluxe router table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graycbr

Established Member
Reaction score
hi guys
got the xact deluxe router table from rutlands a few yrs ago ..
The insert has bowed with the weight of the router ..
Just brought a new router Triton TRA001 so after a new insert so I'll have no problems with the new setup..
The table takes a insert plate measuring 305mm x 230mm ,so be handy if there's a insert that will drop straight in ..
any views be helpful

If its the blue plate made by Kreg, contact them for a free replacement. They did not quibble in any way shape or form when I asked for mine to be replaced.

Even if its another make, its worth an email to customer services.

If all else fails, theres a guy on ebay who makes stainless steel ones to order, but be prepared to spend all of your secret tool fund.

Alexam":1f6frd5p said:
As general interest, do many inserts bow as a result of heavy ruters. It would be helpful to know these things.
Malcolm

The phenolic one's can with a heavy router attached over time.

I have the Rutlands table and found that the insert that came with it does bow withe weight of a heavy router - I have a Trend T9 (early version of the T11). It is especially noticeable when routing with the fence close to the cutter I.e. in the centre of the plate. I couldn’t easily find a standard plate that would just fit the table so in the end I upgraded by using a piece of 12mm phenolic plastic which was kindly suggested and supplied by Woodmonkey. The phenolic is very easy to machine and rock solid and I just bought some set screws and tapped the corners to provide for levelling the plate.
I think Woodmonkey routed a rebate to allow for the insert rings but as I use an Xtreme Extension (from Peter Sefton) I simply cut out a hole just to give minimal clearance.

There are quite a few who have reported the Kreg bowing, including me. Any phenolic can bend, but if you can get 12 mm thick you should be fine (the kreg is 9 mm).

graycbr":3l0mus5e said:
The Rutland's router table comes with a solid phenolic insert plate

Yes, thats the whole point. A solid 9 mm phenolic plate CAN and sometimes WILL deform under the weight of a big router.

If you are replacing your plate, spring for an aluminium one. I have the gold one (Incra?) supplied by Peter Sefton (I think it's Incra, I get Incra and Kreg mixed up).
Yes I know it is expensive, but it is excellent, and you will never need to replace it. Also they have recently changed the design so that you can use a Router Raizer without having to mount it sideways on (after several of us nagged and were told it wasn't possible...).
Expensive but the best.

Steve Maskery":3h74iktf said:
If you are replacing your plate, spring for an aluminium one. I have the gold one (Incra?) supplied by Peter Sefton (I think it's Incra, I get Incra and Kreg mixed up).
Yes I know it is expensive, but it is excellent, and you will never need to replace it. Also they have recently changed the design so that you can use a Router Raizer without having to mount it sideways on (after several of us nagged and were told it wasn't possible...).
Expensive but the best.

Yes nice but expensive :-(
Plus Pre drilled version Incra 7518 for the triton which I've ordered ...
But I like the quality hmmm

Any more aluminium inserts worth looking at ?
Plus what's the best way to fill in the difference as looks like the Rutlands is slightly bigger than all the other makes ,so far I've looked at . Mine is 305mm x 230mm ??

As long as the gap is only one or two mm, you dont need to fill it. The acid test is when you run a small piece of wood across the centre. If it catches on a gap (or a hump), thats when you need to do some work on it.

graycbr":2ks03uyb said:
Steve Maskery":2ks03uyb said:
Expensive but the best.

Yes nice but expensive :-(
Plus Pre drilled version Incra 7518 for the triton which I've ordered ...
But I like the quality hmmm

Oh steve now look what you made me do
Incra 7518 plate
Incra LS system ..
looking at the Incra clean sweep plates now ahhhh lol

Just get the plate and the inserts. The fence is a PITA. Excellent precision, yes, but the practicality of all that rear space you need to operate it makes it a difficult ergonomic arrangement in the average hobby workshop.
But if, like me, you have the Cathedral of Woodwork, it's another matter... :)

Back