Upcoming tuning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TobyDavidson

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, I have put myself under some pressure.

My CDT teacher is retiring this year. I have been friends with his son for what seems like ever, and am godfather to his son.

I agreed to make something for him, to show that actually people do take something from the classes and carry things on into later life. Now I have to actually turn it!

I plan on doing two pieces, a 10' platter (Cheese board) and a design I have been toying with for a while. It is loosely based on the wide rimmed bowl in woodturning a few months ago, adapted to be an olive bowl. Within the rim, 2 recesses, to hold the olives around the rim of the bowl and within the main bowl recess, a central funnel for holding the toothpicks with the stone catch around the outside. I will try and get my scanner, or drawing software working to put up the plan.

I have had a number of issues with warping of items in the past, so want to be really careful. I would be grateful on some feedback on the following:

1. Wood choice - I was thinking of purpleheart for both. I like to colour, and finish it can get. I am aiming to buy the blanks at the open day at Toolpost, or an online source if I don't see anything I like.
2. I will be using foodsafe finish to ensure it is a functional piece.

3. Process -

Rough out the shape for both, week of 20th June.

Store in the house until first week of August

Finish items in first week August.

Store in house until deliver, 15th August.

Questions are,

Do I need to chose a more dense wood, given there will be oil in the olives?

Are the timelines ok to reduce the amount of movement in the finished piece?

Hi Toby, seems like you’ve organised yourself really well here, and thought-out what you want to do. I can’t really comment if the time lines are suitable to minimise wood movement, have no experience in this area, sorry.

One thing I would like to perhaps raise your attention to is the fact Purple Heart may not be the most suitable timer for the production of a bowl intended for contact with food.

As apparently the wood can cause eye & skin sensations and nausea, in some people. The link I acquired this information from: http://www.mimf.com/archives/toxic.htm

Although, take what I say with a pinch of salt, only a beginner in the turning world. Someone with better expertise will come along soon enough, and give you some more credible information.

Best of luck with the project,

Dan

I don't know if purple heart is toxic but as a rule I don't use exotics for food safe items. Beech, sycamore, hawthorn, ash are OK but if you want fancy wood olive can be beautiful and is food safe to the best of my knowledge.

Pete

I would avoid the PH myself, brittle and not very splintery for a new turner to handle.
It won't look that attractive either after a while, certainly will most likely look a dirty muddy in short order colour if you apply food safe oil.

As Pete says, Beech, Ash, Sycamore (softer may mark easily), Maybe Oak for the cheeseboard if you have a marble insert.

Thank you for the feedback.

I will change the wood choice for one of the recommended options. I don't want it to look dirty after only a short time. I've got a nice piece of beech that is saying USE ME! everytime I walk in the garage.

If you finish the platter and bowl with wax, it will wear off with use and the bare wood will probably get grubby in time. Bets bet is to either use copious amounts of oil on it or a good lashing of melamine. For the cheese platter, keep your eyes open for a dark marble insert, don't glue it in though as if the wood moves it can split because the marble doesn't.

pete

Olive is food safe and used quite a lot here. It gives a beautiful finish and won't tarnish with use.

I would think twice about the stone catch round the outside because it could be awkward to empty if there are still any olives left in the dish? I like the idea of 2 separate recesses. We eat a lot of olives and our French friends and neighbours normally put them out in a bowl of about 4 or 5 inch diameter. It may give you some idea as to the size for the bowl?

Olive oil for the finish of course and you will have a beautiful bowl.

A quick aside. If you ever see Luque olives, and you like olives, then give them a try. They are local to here and not only the most expensive, but the best olives you can get! They are slightly elongated with a sharp banana shaped stone and delicious 8) 8) 8)

Back