Unusual tail vices?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikey R

Established Member
Reaction score
I came accross this photo:

2a.jpg

Its a bench built by Aussie luthier Bill Paulin.

I found the tail vice quite interesting, half way between a traditional L shaped continental tail vice and a wagon vice. With the extra support of the bench top either side of the sliding dog hole block, it could be designed with greater resistance to sagging, whilst the vice chop would have greater resistance to sideways racking.

Something to think about anyway. :)

Mikey R":2bj526p5 said:
I came accross this photo:

2a.jpg

Its a bench built by Aussie luthier Bill Paulin.

I found the tail vice quite interesting, half way between a traditional L shaped continental tail vice and a wagon vice. With the extra support of the bench top either side of the sliding dog hole block, it could be designed with greater resistance to sagging, whilst the vice chop would have greater resistance to sideways racking.

Something to think about anyway. :)

But it seems to damn near maximise the offset from the screw to the application of force - a recipe for generating racking forces.

BugBear

bugbear":2wlm7udv said:
But it seems to damn near maximise the offset from the screw to the application of force - a recipe for generating racking forces.
BugBear

I have one like this and I find myself putting a scrap of waste of the same thickness in the other end of the vice to stop racking, mind you I have the same approach with the record on the side of the bench...

dannykaye":lkg1pruo said:
bugbear":lkg1pruo said:
BugBear

I have one like this and I find myself putting a scrap of waste of the same thickness in the other end of the vice to stop racking, mind you I have the same approach with the record on the side of the bench...

Ive been giving some thought to this tail vice arangement. Using one of those cheap screw and guide assemblies from Axminster, if the sliding dog hole block was aranged so that it was just next to the screw and inside of the outer guide rod, this should reduce racking to an acceptable level.

I still think my half completed softwood bench wouldnt be suitable for this arrangement, it would need something like beech or maple for the front of the bench top at least. :(

It's hard to see what we are supposed to look at. Is it not simply a spacer in a wide vice - placed there to offset racking?

I'm interested in his pair of leg vices..Or perhaps one of them is chops for the carving bench?

I started working wood using a bench that my great-great-grandfather made in the late 19th century. It has a vice just like that except that the screw is in line with the dog holes.

The principle worked well bot the whole bench was too small and light for my use so I bought a bigger and heavier bench with a normal tail vice some years ago. The old one is put back on a shelf in the tractor shed.

Back