Unusual material

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duncanh

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't do many pens but the size of this blank was a bit limiting. It's made from a standard 7mm black enamel kit with the band exchanged for a glued in ebony section - I like fat pens from these cheap kits.

clickable
Any ideas what the main part if made from? I know but was wondering if anyone else has come across it used for turning. The colour match in the photo is pretty good

Finished with Chestnut MC wax

Duncan

Best looking fat pen I've seen, it doesn't look like a sausage tied in the middle :)

lovely wood too, it'll be interesting to find out what it is...

No more guesses so I'll reveal - it's gorse.
I was helping our local wildlife trust clear some and noticed the unusual grain structure and interesting colours so took home a few sections that I could find that were relatively straight. Unfortunately the lager diameter plants were all gnarly and hollow in the middle.
It's the most abrasive material I've ever turned. Just making the one pen required me to sharpen my skew at least 4 or 5 times. It has some sort of resin in it (and possibly minerals from the ground) and was blunting bow saw blades when we were cutting it. I tried other tools but the skew worked the best. I have a few more so may try one of carbide scrapers which I have.

That's got the look of yew Duncan, and would do nicely for my little spindles - but, if it's proving difficult for you, maybe not :wink:

Latest posts

Back